OP
OP
T

timsuss103

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really care about the passionate talk.. I think both sides have validity.. but first I have to stand up for who I am.. I am not here to be macho or a tough guy. I am actually here in Mexico to support a more compassionate, understanding self, one that sees humanity as a species on the nation called earth. I do however like to poke fun at "tough guys".. other than that, I am ignoring most of the posts saying Mexico is unsafe.. because I have been here for two months both deep in narco country and in tourist centers.. it is true, I am a magnet for crooks.. but, crooks can be avoided.. narcos are not interested in me, they are involved in much more lucrative situations than ****ing with a gringo.. however because I will be working with gold I am aware that I will need to formulate a strong relationship with a family and village... This is more what I am looking for than the old classic capitalist smash and grab.. lastly, I really do appreciate genuine concern, and perspective from experience.. I am not here to fight, I am here to make friends, and grow as a "gold" hunter.. most of the hunt is in the journey, wouldn't you say?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're missing a very large fact here. In Mexico, if you aren't a local Mexican you will stand out like a purple dinosaur. You will become the focal point of every crook, conman, and narco. If they think they can make a buck from conning you, robbing you, killing you, it's going to happen.

Once a gringo leaves the tourist path, all bets are off.

I spent 6 months traveling off the beaten path. Good times, nicest people I've met. Still have several friends from that time and we visit each other. I was only murdered 3 times, robbed never. Biggest problem in rural Mexico is the Federales. Avoid them or pay the vig and you will get by.

These days the most dangerous places for tourists are the tourist spots. You are going to be a lot safer staying with a rural Christian family. If you drink, have a potty mouth, put on a superior attitude, discuss politics or oogle their women you would be safer in Baltimore. :cat:

Traveling is a skill. That skill is mostly about checking your cultural prejudices at the border and going with the flow. Skills are learned through experience. Interestingly rural Mexicans are eager to meet and learn about their neighbors to the north.

Just the opinion of a purple dinosaur.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really care about the passionate talk.. I think both sides have validity.. but first I have to stand up for who I am.. I am not here to be macho or a tough guy. I am actually here in Mexico to support a more compassionate, understanding self, one that sees humanity as a species on the nation called earth. I do however like to poke fun at "tough guys".. other than that, I am ignoring most of the posts saying Mexico is unsafe.. because I have been here for two months both deep in narco country and in tourist centers.. it is true, I am a magnet for crooks.. but, crooks can be avoided.. narcos are not interested in me, they are involved in much more lucrative situations than ****ing with a gringo.. however because I will be working with gold I am aware that I will need to formulate a strong relationship with a family and village... This is more what I am looking for than the old classic capitalist smash and grab.. lastly, I really do appreciate genuine concern, and perspective from experience.. I am not here to fight, I am here to make friends, and grow as a "gold" hunter.. most of the hunt is in the journey, wouldn't you say?

Well said!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A little bit of macho?
Here's some facts to chew on for those who are afraid of Mexico because of high murder rates.

Mexico has a murder rate of 21 per 100,000.

Baltimore has a murder rate of 56 per 100,000. More than twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Detroit has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

New Orleans has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Memphis has a murder rate of 31 per 100,000. Nearly 1.5 times the murder rate in Mexico.

All these U.S. cities have murder rates roughly equal to Mexico:

Charlotte

Chicago - duh

Indianapolis - Indiana :hello:

Las Vegas - what happens in Las Vegas...

Philadelphia

Tulsa

You really don't have to leave the country to prove how much of a man you are. Just visit your nearest metropolis. :thumbsup:

New York will have a murder rate of just over 3.4 per 100,000 population, the lowest of any of the nation’s five largest cities.
In spite of the facts a lot of people think NYC is dangerous.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny when new people take jabs at people only trying to help, be realistic or are a reputable member... Good luck to ya.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You're missing a very large fact here. In Mexico, if you aren't a local Mexican you will stand out like a purple dinosaur. You will become the focal point of every crook, conman, and narco. If they think they can make a buck from conning you, robbing you, killing you, it's going to happen.

Once a gringo leaves the tourist path, all bets are off.

Paranoia, the great destroyer.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
People are paranoid. Is it any wonder when you consider what we are bombarded with on a daily basis. Google traveling in Mexico. You will get a lot of government warnings. Its enough to make a lion afraid of the jungle.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I notice you aren't stepping up for the red in the closet challenge?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little bit of macho?
Here's some facts to chew on for those who are afraid of Mexico because of high murder rates.

Mexico has a murder rate of 21 per 100,000.

Baltimore has a murder rate of 56 per 100,000. More than twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Detroit has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

New Orleans has a murder rate of 40 per 100,000. Nearly twice the murder rate in Mexico.

Memphis has a murder rate of 31 per 100,000. Nearly 1.5 times the murder rate in Mexico.

All these U.S. cities have murder rates roughly equal to Mexico:

Charlotte

Chicago - duh

Indianapolis - Indiana :hello:

Las Vegas - what happens in Las Vegas...

Philadelphia

Tulsa

You really don't have to leave the country to prove how much of a man you are. Just visit your nearest metropolis. :thumbsup:

wonder why indy gets a wave? yeah I noticed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread