Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I'm curious as to if any of you have bought your kids a metal detector and did it function good enough to keep your children's interest and not break them off from the weight. My 7 year old has tried detecting with my extra XLT, and even with me removing the middle rod and joining the lower rod with the upper/arm rest rod, and it was still too heavy and awkward for her.

My youngest daughter is 3, and she absolutely LOVES the idea of metal detecting, but is still very young.

Both of my daughters are small for their age, so I'm looking for something that would be reasonable for them. I am aware of the bounty hunter Jr. being a possibility for my 7 year old, but have only found some little "edu science" detector at Toys R Us that would be good for my 3 year old, but videos didn't seem too promising...even for a toddler.

Any input would be great. I have places I go that have tons of coins, and I think if the kids could actually dig those coins consistently, they would want to stick with it. They just would need a detector able to find those. Finding a suitable detector probably won't be an issue for the 7 year old, but for the 3 year old it might be tricky.

One last thing...I am not opposed to attempting to make a lightweight home made metal detector if anybody has any recommendations on that. I'm hoping for anything with a 3 inch depth capability because I doubt they will dig any deeper then that.

Sorry for the long rant, thanks in advance for any responses.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minelab Go-Find 20/40/60

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Compadre is a great detector for kids to start out with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread