A Question concerning Halos and Silver
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtlooter
  • 1 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 1 Post By chub
  • 1 Post By dirtlooter
  • 4 Post By DeepseekerADS

Thread: A Question concerning Halos and Silver

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12993 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

A Question concerning Halos and Silver

I am quite used to finding halos with a number of things, mainly iron, aluminum, some copper coins, and a few other metals but don't really remember them so much with silver. I found a Merc yesterday that had a pretty good halo, so good that I was convinced that it had to be a penny. Then I just knew that there had to be another coin in the hole area but no, it was just the one 1918 Mec. I believe that many factors an help form a halo, usually some sort of minerals in the dirt I am sure. I just didn't remember having one quite like this with a silver item. I can see any tarnished or corroded metal having a halo but this coin was pretty nice looking. Is this more common than I realize?
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23638 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There is some pretty good moonshine in your neck of the woods DL. I'm thinking that, and your high mineral soil may have something to do with that "Dirty Halo" effect.
    I sometimes run across the same type of dirty halo signal with deep silver at the beach in "dry" sand. Usually down around 12" or more on quarters and large cents
    Last edited by Terry Soloman; Apr 10, 2018 at 03:21 PM.
    dirtlooter likes this.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1445 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Remember that ancient trick....shovel near target....pull back....break halo....test again from both sides

chub
    Terry Soloman likes this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    12993 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    There is some pretty good moonshine in your neck of the woods DL. I'm thinking that, and your high mineral soil may have something to do with that "Dirty Halo" effect.
    I sometimes run across the same type of dirty halo signal with deep silver at the beach in "dry" sand. Usually down around 12" or more on quarters and large cents
    I have walked up upon about 4 stills over the years and immediately got the heck out of the area but it is the newer "crop" spots that really scare me.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    12993 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Remember that ancient trick....shovel near target....pull back....break halo....test again from both sides

chub
    yep, when I dig, the detector goes out to the side out of the way and then the shovel goes out of the way when the pinpointer starts to go into the hole or the plug. learned that years ago. since going wireless, it is so much easier dealing with the detector when I dig.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18442 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    I have walked up upon about 4 stills over the years and immediately got the heck out of the area but it is the newer "crop" spots that really scare me.
    When I was 12 my stepfather caught sight of a fire down at the bottom of the ridge on our land. I went with him down the holler to find out what the fire was. We walked up on an active still - the workers heard us walking down, so they were gone.

The next morning a fellow showed up with a free half gallon to keep us quiet. We never said a word Of course I only got a taste
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links