Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am quite used to finding halos with a number of things, mainly iron, aluminum, some copper coins, and a few other metals but don't really remember them so much with silver. I found a Merc yesterday that had a pretty good halo, so good that I was convinced that it had to be a penny. Then I just knew that there had to be another coin in the hole area but no, it was just the one 1918 Mec. I believe that many factors an help form a halo, usually some sort of minerals in the dirt I am sure. I just didn't remember having one quite like this with a silver item. I can see any tarnished or corroded metal having a halo but this coin was pretty nice looking. Is this more common than I realize?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is some pretty good moonshine in your neck of the woods DL. I'm thinking that, and your high mineral soil may have something to do with that "Dirty Halo" effect.:laughing7:
I sometimes run across the same type of dirty halo signal with deep silver at the beach in "dry" sand. Usually down around 12" or more on quarters and large cents:skullflag:

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that ancient trick....shovel near target....pull back....break halo....test again from both sides

chub

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is some pretty good moonshine in your neck of the woods DL. I'm thinking that, and your high mineral soil may have something to do with that "Dirty Halo" effect.:laughing7:
I sometimes run across the same type of dirty halo signal with deep silver at the beach in "dry" sand. Usually down around 12" or more on quarters and large cents:skullflag:

I have walked up upon about 4 stills over the years and immediately got the heck out of the area but it is the newer "crop" spots that really scare me.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember that ancient trick....shovel near target....pull back....break halo....test again from both sides

chub

yep, when I dig, the detector goes out to the side out of the way and then the shovel goes out of the way when the pinpointer starts to go into the hole or the plug. learned that years ago. since going wireless, it is so much easier dealing with the detector when I dig.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have walked up upon about 4 stills over the years and immediately got the heck out of the area but it is the newer "crop" spots that really scare me.

When I was 12 my stepfather caught sight of a fire down at the bottom of the ridge on our land. I went with him down the holler to find out what the fire was. We walked up on an active still - the workers heard us walking down, so they were gone.

The next morning a fellow showed up with a free half gallon to keep us quiet. We never said a word :) Of course I only got a taste :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread