Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since no one has seen fit to answer your question, in defense of the 3030, I'd recommend passing on it.
~Texas Jay

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You ask if its worth the money and soon after state your not sure your going to like it. I suggest you offer him a lot less then he’s asking for it. In life you can ask for directions but you still have to steer your own car.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you pass on the 3030? Just curious

In my opinion, the CTX 3030 is overpriced, too complicated for my preference, and the people I know who have owned them are always "downgrading" so there must be a reason for that and it's not because they can't afford the price. Also, no one answered BeachCrazy's question in about 48 hours after he posted it so apparently it's not getting rave reviews from any of its many owners and users on this forum.
~Texas Jay

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, the CTX 3030 is overpriced, too complicated for my preference, and the people I know who have owned them are always "downgrading" so there must be a reason for that and it's not because they can't afford the price. Also, no one answered BeachCrazy's question in about 48 hours after he posted it so apparently it's not getting rave reviews from any of its many owners and users on this forum.
~Texas Jay

Thanks, I just thought it would be more helpful to the OP if you elaborated why you had that opinion. I own a CTX currently but will be selling it and buying an Equinox as soon as they are in stock (who knows when that will be?) It's n excellent machine but as you said it's overpriced. It has a lot of bells and whistles like gps tracking that I don't need or use. It is pretty heavy albeit very well-balanced. Great saltwater machine but then again I am hearing that the Equinox is too. The Equinox is much lighter, costs much less and (most importantly to me) it has a lightning fast response time. The CTX is slow so you have to swing a lot slower.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to buy a second hand CTX 3030. it is in great shape barley used. my question is if it is worth the money. I had a Excalibur 2 in the past and loved it but not sure I will like the 3030 as they are completely different in my eyes. just looking for someone who has had a ctx to steer me into the right direction.

Why do you think you need one? I’d recommend it all day,but not to a casual user,someone who doesn’t spend ALOT of time with it,someone who’s in a hurry,etc. It can be your best friend or worst enemy. If you’re not into learning stuff and just want immediate short term results,forget it. If you’re willing to go all in and give it all you’ve got and are totally committed to the machine,it has no peers. It seems they are pure magic or straight crap,depending on who’s behind the wheel and what their commitment level is to hunting and all that goes with it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd get it. Assuming the price is right.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd maybe give six or seven hundred for one in nice shape, If I were to spend a lot of time in the field, 20+ hrs a week, maybe a bit more. They are overpriced, just like the etrac.

OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all the info but is six or seven hundred the going rate for one of these in good shape?
The one i am looking at is just about a year old and the price is $1250 comes with a pair of water proof and wireless headphones.
and i was just saying im not sure of i would like it i have only owned a garret Ace 250 and a excal 2. the ctx is very different when compared to those.

OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Maybe a Modded Excal is more suited for me. or at least one with some different headphones. The stock ones did not fit my head well.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a LOT of issues you have not addressed. Let me ask you a few questions. What type of a budget are you capable of enduring ? What type of hunting and conditions you will be using the CTX in. The CTX you thinking about does it have any warranty left ? WHAT kind of PHYSICAL condition are you in. The CTX is HEAVY !!!

OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
There is a LOT of issues you have not addressed. Let me ask you a few questions. What type of a budget are you capable of enduring ? What type of hunting and conditions you will be using the CTX in. The CTX you thinking about does it have any warranty left ? WHAT kind of PHYSICAL condition are you in. The CTX is HEAVY !!!

$1500 is the budget for the detector. not scoop or other supplies. as far as type of hunting, with my Excal i never went deeper than my chest not saying i wouldn't dive with it but i never did. conditions would be whatever south Florida brings. i dont believe there is any warranty left. im in pretty good shape and on the larger side of the spectrum. (I lift normally 5 days a week) that being said im doing this to enjoy not kill myself.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd maybe give six or seven hundred for one in nice shape, If I were to spend a lot of time in the field, 20+ hrs a week, maybe a bit more. They are overpriced, just like the etrac.

Absolutely not! Good luck, I pray you find one at that price that is in very good condition. The CTX is a machine of science in an world where most don't get it, a machine in need of a very high acceptance - you gotta put in the time with this machine - I've dug screw caps at 14" that sounded like they were a wee bit more than shallow - with the stock coil.

In my mind the major difficulties of the CTX are the slow path you have to adopt, and then when you've been swing a few hours, you just don't want to dig those foil signals any longer after you're a pouch full. You just gotta dig those foil signals - folded or balled up - If you want to find a gold ring. It really towards the end comes down to whether you wish to dig that signal in the time of towards the end of your patience.

As an owner, only purchase the CTX if you're really up to the task - and it pays to be a sound guy where you listen to the signals. Them 28 frequencies sure put out a whole lot of sounds. For the good stuff, it's the real whispers you wish to find. There'll certainly be a whole lot of sounds in the ground as you swing it.

You want the ones which repeat - sound the same in each direction, and you certainly have to make a choice in those frequent types of signals you hear. 3+ hours into a hunt, you're already relaxing you discrimination standards by FE-CO numbers.

Do you want nickels or not? If you choose not, then your might reject some gold rings.

I've dug a whole lot of trash swinging my CTX, but opening the door to delights. Maybe it takes 1,000 balls or folds of foil to retrieve one gold ring?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I'm good with putting in the time to learn the machine but the problem I have is I could never hear the faint differences in similar targets like people did I should. That's one of the reasons I am considering the CTX. The screen with the number display I think will come in handy.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX but hardly use it any more. I am getting old and it is difficult for me to swing. The CTX is a great detector And one you learn it i am sure you will love it. BUT am going to say this. The BEST DETECTOR for you is ONE YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND !!!. The F22 Raptor is one of the best fighter jets in the world. BUT in the hands of a novice cesna pilot is not worth . Check out youtube for the models your interested in and see how they work and if they confuse you ]. Hope this helps

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This gets ask on a regular basis here, not just about the CTX but all machines. It's a tough question to answer because so much is based on preference. What you and I think is a good deal may not seem so too the next guy. Before you can decide if it's a good deal you need to find out if you like the machine. My suggestion would be to try and find someone who has one and would let you try it out first.
I love mine, and had very little trouble learning it so to me I got a great deal.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I ran the CTX for 3 yrs then it shut down, repaired, died, and been sitting there pouting on it for past three yrs now. I will get it sent in soon as I have a # from the Minelab for the repair.

Having had the Explorer, SE, ETrac, and the CTX, and now the Deus each one was a better machine in it's own right.
There wasn't anything complicated about the machine, as the sounds were close to the previous production models.
There's features that in my own option are useless, like I don't need GPS, or tracking, or :dontknow: else on that side of the program.

Folks will play Caesar with every machine made, it either lives or dies in their eyes.

Given that I have a few thousand hours on each of the machines I would say the SE was better on silver, but not on separation. The CTX was better balanced than the previous three models.
Swinging it non-stop for hours and digging a target every 15 minutes will wear on the arm.
I have swung each of these machines numerous times on hunts that were 10+ hrs a day for 13.5 straight days.
So at the end of the day digging targets, or just not, was the answer to how one felt.
Digging a 1000 pieces of foil/tab/what ever junk to get a gold well that's just frigging park hunting.
I nailed gold or multi golds with every one of these machines digging on the beach, park, but never in 50 yrs would I even dig a 100+ pieces of trash for a piece of gold.
It's just not worth the effort in my books, never has, and it will never will be.
So I'll leave them lay for the ones that dig everything in that foil/tab range to sniff out the yellow metal.

You can make it as easy as apple pie-or so difficult on one's brain at at the bells and whistles going off with the CTX. But lets work on the K.I.S.S method.

A machine that retails out at $2500 for less than half, but one could buy something new for that-that isn't 5.5lbs.
Goes deep-no arguments there.
Has programs that one may never use-gee I haven't used the cigarette lighter in any vehicle for the past 31 yrs either.
Had rear heated seats in a luxury Lexus never got to use them either.
These holes in the dash/counsel for charging up things there's another and the list goes on.
I took the ripper and guards off the table saw as I value my parts more than these devices are intended for.
So my point is there's lots of Negs. and positives when it comes to a machine.
Gets all muddy and wet, wash it off with a hose hang dry and it's pretty again. Try that with some of the other machines-dare you folks.
Minelab has the processor of a snail, slower you go the more you'll find.
Swing low and slow-and they hate air! That meaning long grass (field hay) it better be a big greenie because little targets aren't going to be there in the headphones.
Oh ya the headphones that come with the detector great if your head is square, other wise buy a pair of Grey Ghosts they work well.

Keep the tones down to dull roar, my brain couldn't process the multi tone settings, but it could tell if it was high or low.

I ran it wide open just about, just a thin line on the left and on the bottom for discrimination, and on relic mode. Noisy? Oh ya! But it really stepped up to the mat when over something.

Now the price point is high-granted so is the Deus but it slammed down the Etrac at many cellar sites, sniffing out multi buttons and tokens (coinage) where I was scratching the noddle thinking what the ....
It has huge options in coils as everything else, and I found each had their place. I always have a hard time detecting with a 4" coil. it's like painting a barn with an artist paint brush. Takes for ever it seems to cover any ground-but great on a small patch of iron.

Go find someone that you can try out the machine for a day.

Put in the time with any machine and it will be the best machine you'll own. I base this on putting in a 1000+hrs on any machine before I can give it a thumbs up or down, by then its friend so I take the good and the hick ups that go along with that friendship.

Best of luck on your choice of machines-listen to the gut most times as it will guide you well through these brain testers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread