tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed a man and his grandson detecting in the park across the street from my new home. I went over to offer encouragement and discovered that the child was doing the digging with a flat bladed garden shovel. Average hole two feet by two and a half feet. Not filled in. Talked to them for about ten minutes. Have him some background on the park, filled in a couple of holes for the boy so he could see it done right. Then the guy started bragging about the five gold rings he found at the beach yesterday and the two silver Morgan's he found on city property. Well, the beach is sanded in except for portions that are windswept. I've hit those areas twice since the first of the year. I wasn't able to believe anything the guy said. Which is a big thing with me personally. I'd rather be spit on than lied to. I wished them luck and left.I felt that any advice given would have been wasted. It is actually my hope that he loses interest and gives up on the hobby altogether. I don't care about anyone finding stuff or beating me to anything. I just felt that this guy would always be destructive and disrespectful. Should I have done differently?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I only hope he heed's your words of wisdom.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't much I hate more than a liar and a thief, and there isn't much difference. These type of people are soon found out and often find out that they don't have many TRUE friends. I'm not calling this guy a thief, just saying there's not much difference.
You tried, and I commend you for that.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on trying to educate this person :icon_thumleft:...sure hope it sunk in! :dontknow:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sounds like he has a bad case of low self esteem. Or he’s one heck of a lucky guy. Maybe he found a few more gold coins right in front of your house after you left..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread