Requesting some help from video content producers.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So this is a strange request. When I am filming my hunts, I want to talk more about what I am doing, but, I have concerns people will thinking I am just talking to myself. It's kinda silly, I know. I am not camera shy as I have done many other vids so that isn't it.

Is there a way for me to overcome this concern?

Thanks in advance!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's a unique post /question ! But there's a first for everything on T'net, haha

Yes, when we md'rs are making live-dig show & tell videos, it's only natural to narrate it. Ie.: "here's a signal. It sounds like it's going to be such & such. I have my settings on such & such. This site has given up 3 seated dimes so far on our last trip. I spanked my buddy two to one here. Let's see what this one is", blah blah

I do my videos with my smart-phone camera mounted on the up-turned bill of a baseball cap. The use a belt-clip that holds the camera on-the-bill, aimed downwards. After some fiddling and aiming, got it to where it aims right down to my swing arc walk direction, and dig direction. And then just narrate as I'm doing whatever. Sometimes un-plug the headphone jack so the viewer is hearing the various thing I'm isolating, etc...

In the old days, only something like a go-pro camera could achieve this. But nowadays, smartphone video cameras have gotten SO good, that you no longer need dedicated separate device, like go-pro.

As for being all alone and talking with no one around: I wouldn't think any passerbys would think anything about that. Because these days: People have blue-tooth devices and earpieces for their cell-phones all the time. So essentially: People these days are talking to themselves all the time.

If someone mistakes you for an insane person, and puts you in the looney-farm, we will pass the hat , take up donations, and send you the $$ for the commissary store that the asylum has.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
THANKS GUYS!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dub the sound in at home after filming.

Come to think of it. Just an image of the find will do.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
But if your alone speaking into a mic, you are talking to yourself.
Not necessarily you but a huge problem with self-documentaries including YouTube videos
is the speaker doesn't have the voice for it. Charlie P #5 had the idea. If your voice or delivery
doesn't work,(you might need to ask) find someone else and write a script. I have stopped a
bunch of YouTube's just because of voice and delivery. A pro in video media has a very different
delivery. Doing a voice over off camera also gets rid of all the junk like wind noise.
There are a lot of films done here and the complaint of audio editors are "Too many crows!"
Keeps them very busy.
2nd problem is hand held cameras bouncing all over. Without a SteadyCam or at least a tripod they
can be very hard to watch.
Learn from the next time you watch a really good documentary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread