Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh my, where to begin?

you have a chicken that eats eggs? ( weird) (( thought it was i before e except after c?))

thought this was gonna be about a cat getting your chicken ( I'm on the bobcats side)
I've seen hundreds ( at least) of chickens ( mostly in pieces)
bobcats not yet, so I am pulling for him

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buff Orpingtons were our first birds (we got 15 "straight run" that turned out to be one hen and 14 roosters - straight my arse). So we supplemented with a dozen B.O. hens and kept one of the roosters.

Anyway, that hen lived to be 12. Laid pretty well out to seven or eight years . . . and by then she had earned a retirement spot.

If you have chickens eating their own or other chicken's eggs try adding a tray of pulverized oyster shell to their feed/availability. Could be a mineral deficiency.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
oh my, where to begin?

you have a chicken that eats eggs? ( weird) (( thought it was i before e except after c?))

thought this was gonna be about a cat getting your chicken ( I'm on the bobcats side)
I've seen hundreds ( at least) of chickens ( mostly in pieces)
bobcats not yet, so I am pulling for him
Been raising chickens for almost 20 years. Pretty much the one of the dumbest animals to care for. Those birds all love to eat raw eggs, some just have a hard time cracking 'em. Bust an egg on the ground and you'll have a bunch of feathered piranhas on it like nothing you've ever seen.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feathered piranhas is correct. I got them a new house last spring. The next morning I go out to give them their breakfast and there is fresh blood splattered everywhere. Now the girls come on out and they are like - hey, human idiot, where's our breakfast? They look fine. However, I soon figured they had caught a mouse overnight and feasted on it. Velociraptors is more like it. I really hope I can get *her worship* to growl for my camera.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
chickens are quite blood thirsty, a bloody chick is a goner very quickly. My daughter lives on Lake Ouachita, her husband manages a fish pen for the game and fish. They lost several "pet" chickens, fancy ones that each had a name, to a pair of resident bald eagles that are nesting nearby. I have seen the eagles catch coots on the water nearby several times, they will also take a fish very quickly if you aren't paying attention.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the neighborhood bald eagle quite angry last spring. It just couldn't figure out how to get to the chickens and was sitting on the side of the road here brooding! Go figure.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post the colonel Sanders Sign standing in your yard that ought to scare the chickens

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, but I don't think Scrambles is afraid of anything.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if some critter was coming by and looking at you for their next dinner you might go on a diet as well.

Capturing that cat and hauling it a good distance from your location making sure you cross a river might be worth the time and effort.
Contact law enforcement to have them catch all wild animals that kill chickens and move them on out.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No roosters. They make way too much racket and my pen is too small for a cockerel. (Yes, that's a real word.) And our wildlife folks around here are into protecting things that they deny exist. Like the mountain lion.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down in the Yucatan, the Mayans used to cut out the heart of a woman while she was giving birth , then feed the mother's heart to a wild jaguar. They thought this would cause the kid to grow up into Super Man.

Too bad Scrambles don't lay no more.

Hey, whatever happened to scrambles' mom? :laughing7:

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, All sounds like Foghorn Leghorn. TP

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if some critter was coming by and looking at you for their next dinner you might go on a diet as well.

Capturing that cat and hauling it a good distance from your location making sure you cross a river might be worth the time and effort.
And possibly fetch you fines and jail time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It sounds like Scrambles is the matriarch so you better watch your Ps & Qs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread