Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Toothie likes to play with dogs, cats and chickens. At 45 pounds and 5 feet long sharp teeth and 3 inch claws and lives in big trees. Lace Monitor. Mild weld lock wire will not stop him. Then if you want to play e my quest. There are bigger toothies in the rivers. 16 foot called salty

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bumped this up because we're all bored with the covid. Read and don't have anything in your mouth when you do.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had run ins with coyotes, foxes, weasels (we eventually won) and one or more fishers (we lost, big time) but never a bobcat!

We let our chickens free range mostly and lose the occasional chicken.

A growling Buff O? That's something new.

Our rooster is a knee-high Rhode Island Red we got for free off Craig's List. Very "energetic" with the girls (most are missing feathers on the backsides from wear and tear - which I assume is why the prior owners dumped him) but he's survived three epic battles that I know of - I assume foxes. Quite the home defender. His spurs are about 2-1/2 inches long! He stays because he is people friendly. We have had others that were not!

Chickens are interesting and entertaining birds. I was shocked when I watched a couple of my hens go all velociraptor on a chickadee that went "inside the wire."

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have enjoyed reading this. I had a muscovy duck that ate out of my hand. A badger dug under and into the chicken house and pulled the old guy into his newly dug hole. I had a weasle get into my pullets once. That torqued me off! Sucked the blood out of them and left them lay. I had owls grab my hens too. I had one rooster that chased everybody but me. His name was Meany. Those were the good old days. But I still have Jackson, my best friend and beloved donkey.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.......Not to be rude........
The only reason I’ll eat an egg is I know one less chicken in the world.
When everyone says “tastes like chicken” Ill have a pork chop, please.
The real feast is “Bobbys back straps” and than tan that hide. You can make a “ruff” for coat hood or some warm renewable resources, warm piece of clothing.
Ive slso observed that yard bird eaters dont try other sources of protein, like everything else but.
I refuse to give a bird any credit, country fried steaks this morning, anyone??

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrambles died in June. So its Buttercup and Big Red now. I got them a new house and put them on the deck so I could watch them more closely and get to them easier to take care of them. Things are not the same without Scrambie.

On a high note, the book I was writing is complete. It's at the editors now, then to the formatter and then in print. It will take them months, however to do their thing. I haven't found the illustrations for it yet.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
.......Not to be rude........
The only reason I’ll eat an egg is I know one less chicken in the world.
When everyone says “tastes like chicken” Ill have a pork chop, please.
The real feast is “Bobbys back straps” and than tan that hide. You can make a “ruff” for coat hood or some warm renewable resources, warm piece of clothing.
Ive slso observed that yard bird eaters dont try other sources of protein, like everything else but.
I refuse to give a bird any credit, country fried steaks this morning, anyone??
Hows the hog business going? I could live on chicken alone. Set a bbq chop down, I’ll have that also, thanks! My wife and kids won’t eat it. Love steak but not paying that, have had one steak in 3 years. Eggs? Gotta have my farm fresh, store bought? No thanks.

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed this thread. Scrambles was an internet sensation. Brought out stories i can honestly say I would never had read anywhere else.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now with the chicken and cat book almost done, she'll be a STAR!

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to buy a copy. Will you please tell me where I should look for it?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be a kindle on Amazon. I have to negotiate to see about print copies.

**NEWS** - I was playing with Buttercup, the Buff Orphington who is Scrambles' sister. That was on Sunday. I found a huge mass in her abdomen that wasn't there just over two weeks ago when I had her out playing. (They run from me now as Scrambles isn't here to rule.) She is apparently anemic. So, just having my cat Lily die from cancer, it seems to be the same thing. I call the vet Monday to set an appt for Tuesday for him to look at her and unfortunately euthanize her, and called an animal rescue place to see about finding a home for the last one, Big Red. One chicken by itself outside in Maryland winters even with a nice house, well, she wouldn't last long. So...the animal place took both hens and will let them live out their lives there with the other chickens they have.

Better for the chickens, sucks for me. They are like babies to me. Been a bad week. To say I'm a little "off" would be putting it mildly. I lost four pets this year from the pit of hell.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to have Conures, Cockatiels, Love Birds, Finches & Parakeets (Budgies). I did rescues and took birds people could not keep anymore. I finally had to stop. I found good homes for all but still have my "Keets". I know Smokey you will miss your chickens but I bet your going to be caring for some other critter 100% in no time! 20201128_132040.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have four elderly cats and an elderly betta fish. And a baby deer that some jerk hunter orphaned OUT OF SEASON who hangs around. OUT OF SEASON and in the middle of the night, I heard the shot, is NOT ok.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my Pips, tiny little 9 month old hen.
Round no tail feathers lay 5 a week.
I take on the ATV, pick up for a drive around to the field.
When she gets full she just jumps in the truck.
20201128_173523.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread