Garrett AT Pro suggestions

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I get some recommendations on settings for an AT Pro.
Please excuse the amateur questions
I mostly hunt schools and ball fields in my area of Ohio.
I hunt a couple patches of woods for relics also.
I am upgrading from a wonderful Fisher F2 That was literally power on and go.
No ground balance needed.
I am new to the ground balance. Is this difficult?

Also can I get battery recommendations?
I have heard lithium work best but what about rechargeable?

Any other advice is appreciated.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Mark,
I do not use headphones, but would if near a highway. Afraid someone might sneak up and with headphones on Bop me on the head.
I use all metal on standard mode, discriminate iron at 40. We have a lot of minerals in the soil so it produces false signals randomly.
I Will let another person take over at this point who uses pro setting. Good hunting.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're hunting ball fields and schools, discriminate out anything less than 70. You'll miss out on nickels and gold, but that's okay in the beginning. You'll also avoid digging a ton of aluminum scrap, which will make it more fun with better results. You can use standard coin mode, but you'll do better in the long run if you master pro coin mode.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
If your just starting out with the ATP, don't bother with any of the standard modes. You said your upgrading, so go straight to pro-modes.

May I suggest watching some ATP vids on you tube. Here are the vids on the basic's. Think it's 1 thru 7.

Coin shooting, just set on pro coin mode and get after it. Dig 50's, 70's, 80's and 90's. This is just to get used to what you'll dig on these number's. Your going to dig some aluminum, until you understand the sounds. But even then we all dig aluminum.

The sounds are more important then the VDI. They can give you alot of info, to cut down on your trash digs. Plan on at least 100 hrs..

Relic hunting use pro-zero, discrimination 35, Sens. 2 bars from max..

It's a good machine, and not hard to learn, but you have to put some time in.

Also would recommend one of the smaller coils like the 5x8 or a Nel. Good separation in those real trashy area's.

Good Luck!

Oh ya, use headphones. You'll want to hear those intricate little sounds from the machine.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Pro Zero Mode. Hunted most of the time with a 5 x 8 coil and Gray Ghost Amphibian head phones. My ground balance was 84, and the sensitivity was set at 2 bars down.
51 - 52,, nickel
80 - 81,, penny
83 - 85,, silver dime / ring
86 - 87,, quarter

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to learn my AT-pro as well 'it's still in it's Box'

Watching Videos & the Hand book only help me so much .

"Field Experience" is where it's at , I've had my G2 for just over a year now , & i'm still learning it.

I was always used to 1 tone type machines , Tejon , 1266-X , & My XLT that I only used 1 tone with for many years.

Guess I could watch the CD that came with it also ???
GL OP

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
...Also can I get battery recommendations?
I have heard lithium work best but what about rechargeable?

I've had my AT Pro for ~5 years. I started using Duracell DC1500 Rechargeable AA's virtually from day one. They're 2450mAh and take probably 12 hours to get to 2 bars. As with all rechargeables I am aware of, they're only 1.2V per cell compared to 1.5V for an alkaline. So on a fresh set you'll have 4 bars for maybe an hour or two before they sit on 3 bars for another 10. These are only ~$10 for a 4 pack on ebay. Well worth the money IMO.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I run mine wide open, no discrimination in pro zero mode and dig every non-ferrous target (in fields and farms)! On private property or groomed areas, I'm more selective and use the Target ID (not always reliable).

Use good quality headphone, I use Grey Ghost NDT (among others), it does make a difference when looking for deep silver and relics.

I use the RnB Innovation Batter pack...a bit pricey but well worth the price IMHO. I tested these batteries for the company. You can PM me for details.

Regards,

Doc

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread