It's now a family affair! FINALLY!

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 8-year-old Garrett GTI 2500 with 4 coils and the Treasure Hound box coils sold for $775 today on eBay. It's headed for Bolivia!

In the meantime, my wife has slowly gotten bit by the MD'ing bug, and has been chasing my 10-year-old son around with his new Ace 300 and "helping". We finally have a hobby that can be enthusiastically shared by all of us... so I bit the bullet and ordered another ACE 300 today to surprise gift my wife next week, using $$ from the GTI sale. (Bought from where they offer an average 10% discount on metal detectors to military, vets, and Govt employees. )

So while my wife and son are chasing down primarily clad coins and zincolns in yards, I'll be deep digging with my Nox 600 and then the 800 when it finally arrives. It'll be fun having the whole family swinging. I've waited a long time to find something we can all enjoy, and it gets my son away from the electronic gaming systems in the house for awhile!!

I think I'll keep the 600 at our permanent home on the East Central Coast of Florida, and take the 800 with me wherever my wife is stationed. I go back and forth to take care of our house, and then time with my family on Air Force Bases where she is stationed. (She's a full Colonel). We will be moving to Oklahoma for two years in June. She is assuming a very senior command on Tinker Air Force Base outside of Oklahoma City. Starting to do the research on Oklahoma MD opportunities, and interacting with a number of detectorists there.

Glad to be rid of that 4.9lbs GTI monster that was killing my arm and shoulder! Was on the fence about selling it, but once I had the 600 in hand, it was a no-brainer, and eagerly awaiting the 800...(I'm currently #4 on the waiting list with my dealer!) Swinging the Nox feels like it's weightless in comparison to the Garrett. Still learning its strengths and quirks, and have been hitting beaches in the Melbourne, FL area the last few days. Not much to show for the hours, but digging everything to learn the TID results. At least I've found enough to pay for gas. Back with family next week and then some fun hunts for silver in old demolished family housing areas on Eglin AFB where we'll be until June.

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you and your family. That's quiet a lot of territory you'll be covering in the months and years ahead. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great family hobby! :occasion14:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Best of luck in Oklahoma. I spent a couple years at Tinker in the early 70s. Beautiful country. I'm sure it has changed a lot since then.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread