Which new detector to purchase???

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to this forum, but I understand the implications of such a subjective question that I'm about to ask. After many years, I may be in the market for a new detector and would like to hear opinions and options from a wide an audience as possible.

First, a little info about me which may help in the search... I'm a lifelong Fisher fan and have owned several of their machines going back to the early 80s. As of now, I'm using a 1266 which will be handed down in the family. I have been out of relic searching for quite some time; however, the future is always a possibility. I enjoy coin hunting with the kids as much as anything as well as the occasional trip to the beach looking for whatever. My budget is around the $500 range.

I like the ease of use that the 1266 affords, and I'm not a fan of a lot of meters and "push button" technology that I see in recent machines. I like buttons and knobs that twist on/off due to the fact that in my experience these parts don't wear out as quick.

Hope this info helps. What say ye?

Many thanks. Happy hunting!

Babacat

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save another $150, and get a Minelab Equinox 600 ($650). If you have to stay at $500, get a Tesoro Vaquero. :occasion14:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from the hype, I would choose the Minelab or First Texas, over the Garrett and Whites machines. The reviews given by non shill individuals seem to reflect somewhat better performance with that choice. Tesoro is always in the running but not talked about like the other two. Those three also display a better bang for the buck. You asked for an opinion, this is mine. Good luck on your choice which ever machine you choose.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think I would start with a machine that has a package with a smaller coil also. Maybe 8 to 10 inch DD. This would be at least for me looking back a better choice. One reason is separation from bad to good targets that build confidence. As you learn the machine, move the coil size up if you prefer. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, bowwinkles, for the reply. Which particular Minelab or First Texas machine would you recommend and why? Which company has better service? Thanks, again.

OP
OP
B

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, rook3434, for your quick reply. I used a large hot head coil on a Fisher 1265 for relics back in the early 90s. If you were going to purchase a new machine today, what would it be and why? Thanks, again, from a fellow Mississippi hunter!

OP
OP
B

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Terry. I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I am going to look into both of those machines.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you don't like fancy buttons and doodads I'd recommend the tesoro vaquero. I noticed service was a concern. Tesoro has one of the top 2 in the business.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the teknetics patriot or F75 deals. Awsome value for money, lightweight, use no batteries.....but as Terry said the Minelab equinox seems to be alot of detector for the money.

Chub

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Babacat,

If you can hold out a bit, IMHO;I believe a lot of mid/higher end metal detectors will be up for sale on this forum, Feebay and other classified sections. I have bought some very nice high end machines for short money.

Regards,

Doc

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
May I recommend the Minelab 600 or 800 Equinox. It should be perfect.
I found my long lost 14k wedding band in the yard in about 3 minutes yesterday.

OP
OP
B

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, rebbel31. That's the second vote for the vaquero. Best wishes!

OP
OP
B

Babacat

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc,

I see that you have a Tejon. What's your opinion of this machine?

Thanks!

PS: The semester is almost over! :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reviews given by non shill individuals seem to reflect somewhat better performance with that choice.

I'm not a "shill individual" and I would take the AT Pro over any other machine. Just takes a lot of practice to get good with it. There's a reason why the AT Pro is used by so many detectorists. It's tough as nails and finds more than all the other hyped detectors. Check out some of my threads and you'll see what it can find...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Babacat,

I use the Tejon for relic hunting only, not saying its not for coin and jewelry. Terry is the expert on Tesoro machines he would know which Tesoro you can use!

Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread