How long do you Detect at a spot for

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the lines blurring with the OP question? How long do you detect a particular spot for or how long is a session? I have a favourite site...put in 3 or 4 hours.....found about 15 English military buttons, pristine 1885 penny (fresh drop at the time)I know this sounds crazy but I left so there would be something left when I returned! Im the only one that detects there.
Some sites you can tell fairly quickly that they are not that good. Others just seem to keep giving up the goodies.
I have early onset osteo arthritis in my feet from all the hiking and detecting so these days I ride a Honda Z50 (1986) monkey bike with modded handle bars to ride to site then walk off from there.Ver quiet, 6 hours riding on a tank, tie my binocs/ lunch/lots of water and things on that are normally too heavy for my pack. Long day planned I take an anti inflammatory the night before....
Some days Im just glad to be out in nature and the detecting is a bonus.
Other days Im impatient to find something decent.

Chub

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a good site, or on the beach, I last as long as my 3 liter water bladder in my backpack holds out. Dehydration from heat is a killer. Easier now with the Equinox due to its low weight, too.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a days time when you go to a spot to detect. How long do you stay there detecting normally? {Please post your hours at a site so others can see this is not just a one or two hour session.

I am old and usually 3 to 4 hours. But if good finds are coming in its ,maybe 5 or 6 hours
I just wanted new people to see this is not a short time event

Please post your times

Since most of the sites I've been working this year are very close to my home (2-5 miles usually) and I can go back whenever and as often as I want, my average hunting time per day is only about 90 minutes. If my luck is good that day, I'll hunt for up to 3 hours with a cold Coca-Cola break in between. When a site is regularly producing good finds, I just mentally mark my stopping point and resume hunting the next time I return and continue to hunt it until I'm satisfied that I've covered it as thoroughly as I can and then I move on to my next permission. My best finds this year have come from a 3-lot site in town. I worked it off-and-on for the past 2 months until I had gone over ever square foot of it with my detector and then I turned it over to another member of our treasure club who had seen me hunting it and had expressed an interest in hunting it after my detecting buddy and I were finished with it. I estimate that I spent about 20 hours hunting those adjacent lots.
~Texas Jay
Central Texas Treasure Club

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
8 Hours or more, is usual on weekends. On a average day, if I get out at all, it'll still be a 3 hour minimum or until the sun goes down.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My reason for asking this question is to show people how much time is put into detecting. You can go detecting for a hour and give up or maybe you hit some good targets. I have hunted place for 4 to 6 hours and found trash. But in the next half our found great targets making the day worth while !!

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep going til there is nothing else. I am prepared to stay a week. My RZR has a lot of cargo space. I even take solar panels and a solar battery and one pair of clean underwear.

UnQle Rob

Oct 14, 2015
Parts Unknown, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detecnik Pin Pointer
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some variables which determine how long that I stay. First, is the site producing. If there are no treasures or very limited treasures, I move on.
Second, how large is the site. Some of my sites are large farms, and can be intimidating. I ask myself can I cover all this ground. Third, am i alone or with a group. Pretty much the first principle applies here, i.e. 4 guys/gals, hunt for 4 hours, that's 16 hours on site. Last, the weather, to hot or to cold, gotta go. With all that said, 4 tops. Remember, how do you eat an elephant?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i usually detect it a site about 1-3 hours depending on the finds

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i went out the other day. had'nt gone out all winter so it warmed up enough went out for 3 hours or was it 4 i dont remember but it got warmer had to quit i hurt so bad i thought i was gonna pass out ! had to go lie in a patch of green grass and rest. so nobody can ever call me a liar ? dont you dare.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Once I am on a property the only thing holding me back is my job, weather and my wife! I am pretty sure i can get rid of two of those things but which one do i keep?

well you could get rid of the one thing that feelings wont get hurt. i know you dont want to hear it ! but you asked ?

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this stage in my life, detecting has to fit between (a) dropping off the kids and getting to work and (b) knocking off work a bit early and picking up the kids. Fortunately, there are a lot of neighborhood parks around. But I'd say 45 minutes to an hour at a time is what I can do. I've gone a bit longer when there are interesting things coming up (not always valuable things, but *interesting*).

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunts are based on the area I want to cover that day on a particular site. The time invested depends on the number of plugs. But, usually I try to keep the time to 2 to 3 hours and then move on to new surroundings. A day hunt lasts until other commitments take priority.........family obligations, property maintenance, etc..........that could be 5 to 6 hours, if there's nothing pressing on the agenda.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread