What is the best Tesoro for wet salt water beaches?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Cibola and it has done very well in the wet salt sand, goes to about a foot deep, and it likes gold to chew on! Anyway I do NOT go in the water, but am considering going to a few beaches north of here during the summer that have gently sloping beaches.

Is there a better TESORO you would recommend?

And TESORO means TESORO. All other brands not under consideration.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Cibola and it has done very well in the wet salt sand, goes to about a foot deep, and it likes gold to chew on! Anyway I do NOT go in the water, but am considering going to a few beaches north of here during the summer that have gently sloping beaches.

Is there a better TESORO you would recommend?

And TESORO means TESORO. All other brands not under consideration.

I've tried the Compadre; Silver uMax; Cibola; Mojave; Vaquero; LST; and Tejon, on wet saltwater beaches. They all suffer in the wet sand, just like the XP Deus. I replaced my Sand Shark with the Equinox 600, and you should sell that Deus and get one! :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG-20121028-00160.jpg
    IMG-20121028-00160.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20151210_131510.jpg
    IMG_20151210_131510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • jones 096.jpg
    jones 096.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I'm sticking with what I have. BTW TESORO is not spelled EQUINOX.:laughing7:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for asking that question, Smokey. My Wife and I just moved in January, now only a 15 min. drive to a public beach on the Atlantic. Pondering the same. I have taken the F75 on a few test runs on salty sand. Noisy as all get out, but legit targets will over ride the noise. Oops, not talking about a Tesoro. 8-)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOps indeed. Of course It's ok. I have a Cibola and it's hit bigger objects down 2 feet in welt salt beaches. Smaller items like pirate coins! ar har! at least 10-12" and I really don't want to dig any deeper than that and it discriminates out iron unlike PI machines. Gonna stick with what I have.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 weeks from today I will be on the beach in mass and will see how a sandshark does ( taking my mxt pro incase)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Jeff. The PI's do work but you might get a lot of iron. I never learned how to figure out which was iron and not on a PI.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Smokeythecat,

I use the Garrett Infinium for wet beach and water. I did everything while beach hunting!

I have on occasion used my Minelabs with FBS technology with no problem in the wet sand.

Terry made an interesting point, perhaps the Minelab Equinox is the machine for the entire beach area (dry, wet and water)...interesting...more information to come I'm sure. :icon_thumleft:

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a look at the Garrett Infinium. Weight of the machine and balance is a critical issue for me. Thanks.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be too heavy also, then.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Tiger Shark that I use on the Beach in FL. It's good in the dry sand, but chatters in the water. I tried a friends Sand Shark before buying mine, but didn't like the PI, because I was digging everything. I still have my Tiger Shark for the dry sand, but recently bought an Equinox to try in the water. As for the Tesoro, I enjoy using it but would not recommend that you go with the Tiger Shark if you are looking at using it in the surf. What initially sold me on it was the simplicity and their lifetime warranty, especially since I knew that I would use it on the beach mostly and the salt air is so harsh on everything. I've never had a reason to use the warranty though and have had the machine for many years.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't actually go IN the water. The closest gently sloping beach is over 150 miles from here, so hitting it in the summer is kinda problematic to begin with. I'm sticking with the Cibola, it LOVES gold at the beach. Dry or wet, it doesn't care.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't actually go IN the water. The closest gently sloping beach is over 150 miles from here, so hitting it in the summer is kinda problematic to begin with. I'm sticking with the Cibola, it LOVES gold at the beach. Dry or wet, it doesn't care.
That sounds like the best option :)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look at that one.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi plan on taking the chickens along for a day at the beach? TP

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinpan, they would assault everybody there to get to the food they brought. Chicken is spelled velociraptor these days. My ladies are fun. They are more work than the cats. Oops. Time's over. Off to dig now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions