Thoughts on historic district, but not an owned parcel of city.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on metal detecting a median in the historic district. There's a "one way" brick road, then a wide/long grassy median with ancient trees, and then an opposite "one way" brick road on the other side. The area is referred to as "historic" but I looked at the parcel data and the roads and medians aren't owned. It's right smack dab in the middle, so there's no possible way that it's anybody's lawn (like if you were detecting the side walk), but it is in sight of the houses and not sure if they would get pissy about it. It would be a great area, that's for sure.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, what ever happened to the Tnet app? It quit working, so I deleted and tried finding again, and it's gone!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two ways of looking at it:

You can go detect it and unless someone calls the police to complain you can probably get away with it. Be careful and respectful and cover your holes properly - even to the extent of putting the soil on a mat and returning it into the hole so it doesn't dry out on top of the grass (making it look disturbed/dead). If someone then does show up you can demonstrate you're doing no lasting harm. A "concerned citizen" may also come over to see what you're up to and that is the time to be polite and upbeat and explain you are a detecting hobbyist and enjoying a day out in the fresh air.

Or, you can try and contact the city/village and they'll possibly say "no" outright. But possibly you will be granted permission.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now, I know that metal detecting a historic registered site is a big no-no....and technically, this whole little historic district is a historically registered site. That being said, the majority of the historic signs on talking about the houses and give descriptions. But right when you enter the area it says "historic district". I just wasn't sure if it would violate the antiquities act, or be deemed digging a historical/archeological site, etc.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do it, if you get in trouble say 'fake arrest'

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected all around this sign....nothing! IMG_2506.JPG

But I did find some goodies where the red/white marks are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread