What does it mean to be a “Professional Treasure Hunter”?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
"Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky, Stormy Daniels"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Professional treasure hunters are rare, and all have wealthy backers. They don't write books, in fact, they try and stay behind the scenes and out of the spotlight. They are masters at fundraising - based on their past finds. The two I know, have very middle-class homes, and tell folks they are import-export professionals. They are almost never home, are in top physical condition, and passports and visas from almost every country in the world.

It is a hard life, not a Hollywood movie. Broken bones, animal bites, bandits, corrupt local law enforcement, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel expenses alone. By 57-65 years old your body is done, so you better have found your motherload by then. There are no (NONE) overweight, old guy, wannabees hunting treasure professionally. Weekend warriors abound. :skullflag:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and passports and visas from almost every country in the world.

Terry I will question that statement on the number of passports that they hold. Stamps in the passport is valid but to be a holder of a passport from just about every country in the world is very unlikely.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It means

"cant hold a regular job"

Greets Namxat

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry I will question that statement on the number of passports that they hold. Stamps in the passport is valid but to be a holder of a passport from just about every country in the world is very unlikely.

Stamps in their passport, not "passports" from every country. Sorry I confused you. :skullflag:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stamps in their passport, not "passports" from every country. Sorry I confused you. :skullflag:

Thanks for the clarification on that Terry.
The ones that chase/seek out this lifestyle are rich in other ways. Not many get to chase and live out their true passions in life, and that alone makes them wealthy beyond dreams.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Terry Solomon:

You describe one very rare type of "professional treasure hunter." There are many other versions.

I used to tell book customers there were more full-time treasure hunters in Colorado than in Florida. Certainly more treasure finders.

The majority of professional treasure hunters are quiet guys in a gimmie cap and a flannel shirt, driving a pick-up that is in far better shape than it appears at first glance. They don't brag or boast. They generally work alone or with a trust partner - occasional in a group if that's what it takes to get the job done.

As for professional treasure hunters who wrote books - that would pretty much start and stop with KvonM - Karl von Mueller (Charles Dean Miller). His books are still the best out there.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can someone show me a diploma that has the word Professional in the title of his or her soon to be trade?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are usually in forms of payments from satisfied clients/customers that value your skills in the craft highly enough to pay you for what you do. Experience and knowledge are fundamental requirements.
They are not so much in the form of standard diaplomas hanging on the wall.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread