Gold Cannon

rsillmon

Apr 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, i was at my mechanics yesterday shop and heard a story that was very interesting. About the son looking for his fathers hidden gold cannon. The story was that the father found a very heavy object on his farm and when gotten all to the surface was a cannon, after closer inspection relized it was solid gold. He hid the cannon away from his home in a cave that he told his wife. When needed money the father would walk to the cave a cut a chunk off a melt inside his shop, so you could not tell what it came off, and then sold . The son remembers his father doing this when he was a kid but had no idea that it was gold he was melting down. The father when going to the cave would always walk in a different direction every time so it would not reveil which was the right direction. The father has passed away now for some time and told no one where the location was, not even his wife, but she knew about the cannon and that was all. The mother told her grown son about it and now is looking for it. Hes has done about a 1/12 mile circle around his house, and on other peoples propetery and let them know if any finds, will split the wealth. The son did bring some left over chunks to my mechanic that was left over in a box to show him, he said it was heavy and did look like gold. This would make a great History channel show, like the one that doing now with the cilvil war gold bars in Lake Mich.

I live in Caroline county,Va and the mechanic said the area hes searching in is in Spotsyvania VA. County.

PS sorry for all my grammer and mis spellings and once i heard this story yesterday i went home to a google search and indeed saw something about a gold cannon and thought this would be a great lead for some one. Thanks Robert

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story. The ones we have here is that the Confederates hid gold in every field in the county! I doubt they even had any.

A gold cannon, just in itself, would not be a practical item. A bronze cannon, yes. The smaller ones even weigh a lot. Good luck.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
STC: I think it was Calvin Trillin who said Jesse James never spent a single night in a bed, because every cave in Missouri has a sign stating he'd slept there. In New England, back in the day, George Washington had stayed in every house in town. Because there was a plaque on the front of the building that said so.

Now we can add the Confederate treasure yarns, as you point out, to every farm and field.

No there there.

I just acquired some interesting articles on the topic from the Surratt Society newsletter. Next I want to locate a couple of pieces from the North Georgia Journal.

I posted here on TN an annotated bibliography of sources I've located so far.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about a gold cannon but I can tell you something about a solid silver cannonball that was found several decades ago by a high school classmate who later went on to become our Brown County Judge. He called me a few years ago, after I appeared on America Unearthed: Lincoln's Secret Assassins, and told me about how part of our Courthouse parking lot caved in a year or so before and revealed an underground tunnel underneath it which he thought may have been one of the Knights of the Golden Circle's tunnels that were built under our downtown area in the 1870s. As we continued our phone conversation, he also told me about finding a solid silver cannonball, when he was a kid, with his new metal detector. He was using the detector in the back yard of a house, that's less than a mile from where I live, while his father was building a fence for the homeowner. He had it tested and it proved to be made of silver. I can only assume that it was left by the Spanish during one of their trips into our Texas county during the 1700s.
~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the closest I have heard to your story comes from the days of the spanish treasure fleets. Everyone in the new world was trying to find ways to smuggle gold and other wealth back home to spain without paying the King's tax on it. In my research on the fleets, I read that one ship captain was arrested smuggling a cannon and an anchor cast in gold and painted black. If it were true, I'm sure it would be more along the size of a signal cannon or a rail gun and not a full sized defense cannon.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting story,,
I like hearing about stuff like that.
If it is true and the son finds what is left of this Gold Cannon, I hope he is smart enough to keep quiet about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread