Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could have been a rabbit getting killed as well. They make a pretty horrifying racket when they get snagged sometimes. If it was a mountain lion take care to avoid putting yourself in danger.

stepped on a rabbit once down near Hitchcock Tx, scared the crap out of me for a second. A female mountain lion in heat can be very vocal as she lets everything around know that she is ready. once you've heard one, you never forget the sound

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Forget that; I know a mountain lion when I hear one, just big cats in general are a darn no go for me, but something about the mountain lion, like all of them are wetardid or something. Maybe it was just that Texas water growing up, but so far they have been the worst big cat I have ever run into.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw a dead one while on a trail in Nevada with my older brother once. Even in death it was scary as hell.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my grandma saw it two times to day it confirmed that there is one

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you gonna drop it.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
depends i think it has cubs and if it starts to get my uncles cow's and chickens yea probably

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If it has cubs then you are sure gonna have issues. One of our hill country ranches near Junction Texas, place was fairly thick with lions, but had one issue I can recall was one with cubs. First started off just a small 80 acres you avoided, well avoiding on an active cattle ranch is a bad idea, but the population had been thinned out and someone in teh family just figured let it be and give them their space. Before you knew you where avoiding a spot 200 acres, pushing the cattle clear from that area, which was one of the best locations for grazing and watering.

2 years later cats thought they owned that area. Then the thinning started up again.

Good lion is a dead lion; when it comes to cats I could seriously careless what some law says about them, how they should be left alone. Forget that crap, those cats never paid property tax on 30,000 plus acres, infact once you get over 20,000 acres anything and everything better walk on egg shells that is not part of the production because no law will protect it in them fences.

But if you have cubs and you want a fast easy way to get them out. Go drop you a deer, good size deer. take it to the edge of the clearing, gut it and tie it up to a tree. Let them buzzards come in and get distracted by that free meal. That cat will teach her cubs on the buzzards; makes for a easy shot, may take a day or two but you do not need to worry about crapping your self when she shows her big face, and them lions love to show their face when they are far to close. Every encounter I have had with a lion had been within 30 feet.

You can not give them an inch, they will take the property. But that skin is nice to have and the teeth too. Just do not go facebook that thing, too many save the whales libs report that stuff to the police. Before you know it cops are talking about protected resources and so on like they pay tax on that property and work it them selves, well unless it is over 20,000 acres. That used to be about the general rule of thumb back in the day, 20K plus and police stayed away, even when called. LOL

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just remember to check Fish & Game laws, you don't want to shoot a Cougar with out a depredation permit. Also do not feed the deer this makes them more prone to Mountain Lion attacks. Reed all laws & Regulations pertaining to what you can and can not do.I did not read the above post, i did now and i would watch what you say on a open forum about taking non game animals be careful.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This sound will stand the hair on the back of your neck,never heard one in real life but I did see one on the other side of the sliding glass door,came face to face with it...awesome animal!

GOD Bless

Chris

Mar 29, 2018
SAN DIEGO
Detector(s) used
STILL LOOKING
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all over, the dept fish and game don't really acknowledge that. Out here i n so cal they make the news about 1x a month There was this story floating around about a service repair guy maybe an AC tech starting to crawl under a house in the crawl space so he goes in and looks up and is about 30 feet away from a big mtn lion. He takes a picture and backs out Pretty cool pic it shows the lion against a cement block wall with the floor joists above It was somewhere around Glendale I think.

I have heard the scream you are talking about and there is a primal chill to it. your heart skips a beat the short hairs on your neck stand up .. My wife and I had just started hiking on a November day on Mt Palomar. we stopped to look at fresh pug marks in the loose silt on the trail and with seconds we heard it. I measured the pug maks with my hand and they were wider than my hand when spread. I don' have big hands but still the print was big. The thing is if you hear them they are just warning you get _____ OUT! Well if you don't hear them and are unlucky 'nough said

the thing is if you are out alone and have headphones on you are seriously disadvantaged. so be away of your "spidey instincts" as some like to call them if you feel funny stop look around listen are there other animals making noise or has it gone quiet. animal noise good ----quiet bad, trust your instincts.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry,you won't know what hit you much less see it coming.You won't hear it,you won't see it.Mountain lions can jump horizontally 35 feet.You can be on a trail and the cat can be in bushes 35 feet away,surprize:laughing9:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has cubs then you are sure gonna have issues. One of our hill country ranches near Junction Texas, place was fairly thick with lions, but had one issue I can recall was one with cubs. First started off just a small 80 acres you avoided, well avoiding on an active cattle ranch is a bad idea, but the population had been thinned out and someone in teh family just figured let it be and give them their space. Before you knew you where avoiding a spot 200 acres, pushing the cattle clear from that area, which was one of the best locations for grazing and watering.

2 years later cats thought they owned that area. Then the thinning started up again.

Good lion is a dead lion; when it comes to cats I could seriously careless what some law says about them, how they should be left alone. Forget that crap, those cats never paid property tax on 30,000 plus acres, infact once you get over 20,000 acres anything and everything better walk on egg shells that is not part of the production because no law will protect it in them fences.

But if you have cubs and you want a fast easy way to get them out. Go drop you a deer, good size deer. take it to the edge of the clearing, gut it and tie it up to a tree. Let them buzzards come in and get distracted by that free meal. That cat will teach her cubs on the buzzards; makes for a easy shot, may take a day or two but you do not need to worry about crapping your self when she shows her big face, and them lions love to show their face when they are far to close. Every encounter I have had with a lion had been within 30 feet.

You can not give them an inch, they will take the property. But that skin is nice to have and the teeth too. Just do not go facebook that thing, too many save the whales libs report that stuff to the police. Before you know it cops are talking about protected resources and so on like they pay tax on that property and work it them selves, well unless it is over 20,000 acres. That used to be about the general rule of thumb back in the day, 20K plus and police stayed away, even when called. LOL

The California Fish & Game has started catching them in high populated cities and releasing them in far Northern California/Southern Oregon. A guy from Canby, Ca. told me they practice the three SSS's...shoot, shovel and shut up. They are so thick up here, they've been sighted extremely close to school grounds.
Here's a picture of a track that's about 4" across...probably a big 'ol Tom. My wife and me hunt rocks in this area...our heads are on swivels now
003.JPG

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The California Fish & Game has started catching them in high populated cities and releasing them in far Northern California/Southern Oregon. A guy from Canby, Ca. told me they practice the three SSS's...shoot, shovel and shut up. They are so thick up here, they've been sighted extremely close to school grounds.
Here's a picture of a track that's about 4" across...probably a big 'ol Tom. My wife and me hunt rocks in this area...our heads are on swivels now
View attachment 1589147

My God, not just a big Tom, but I bet that thing has been eating the bikes along with the mountain bikers. LOL

Problem with a big cat in every country I have been to, gun fire sure does not warn them off. They just come that much faster at you.

Stay safe out there, you and your wife.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out jogging in NorCal, on a bike path, and as I came around the corner, there was a half grown mountain lion, walking in the same direction, as if he owned the trail. After he rounded the next corner, I couldnt see him. But I came up with a good idea, the next evening, I had my camera, and waited at the corner, so I could see in both directions, but as it started getting dark, I had second thoughts, thinking about mamma cat might be with baby cat, this time. The jog back home was a couple miles longer, but I didnt want to run into mamma. I havent come up with any more great ideas for a while!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mate next time you want a picture of a Lion just try google, it is much safer.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reintroduction of large predators is perpatated by city dwellers who want rurals to move back to the safety of the city and increase the city's taxbase.

I'm mean really, did these watermelons(green on the outside red on the inside) really just plumb forget why the attempted eradication of wolves and lions took place?

The D*** things eat children!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions