T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out jogging in NorCal, on a bike path, and as I came around the corner, there was a half grown mountain lion, walking in the same direction, as if he owned the trail. After he rounded the next corner, I couldnt see him. But I came up with a good idea, the next evening, I had my camera, and waited at the corner, so I could see in both directions, but as it started getting dark, I had second thoughts, thinking about mamma cat might be with baby cat, this time. The jog back home was a couple miles longer, but I didnt want to run into mamma. I havent come up with any more great ideas for a while!

Did ya get the feeling you were being watched?? You probably were. You know the old saying..."poke the bear with a stick and he's gonna get ya."

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reintroduction of large predators is perpatated by city dwellers who want rurals to move back to the safety of the city and increase the city's taxbase.

I'm mean really, did these watermelons(green on the outside red on the inside) really just plumb forget why the attempted eradication of wolves and lions took place?

The D*** things eat children!

It seems the wolves here in Oregon are suddenly dying of lead poisoning. Good wolf management is..."exhale slowly and squeeze."

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I got the feeling I was being watched. My back was to some very thick brush. Mamma could have been just a few feet away, and I would have never known, until too late! I have had a few stupid ideas with mountain lions, they just seem to bring out the stupidness in me!

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Mountain loins here, but what scares me the most when wandering through the wood now is the coyotes , one is not much of a concern but a small pack can take a person down. I always carry a gun when heading into the woods. I think they have breed with wolves over the years and have become more aggressive toward humans. I think I read that somewhere.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
With wolves you say, no..... They couldn’t have gotten the aggression from them, all those city living swampy eco activist claim wolves have never attacked a human.

But seriously though, coyotes down deep south can grow balls but just a shot will run them off or even a yell. Those northern ones in wolf country need to be put in another class; that is like having a convict breeding program.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a young man in NE Oregon that was elk hunting last fall. He was sitting on a stand when three wolves made a bee line for him. Two of them started to circle him and one headed directly at him. He capped him at about 20-30 feet. He contacted authorities and told them what happened. They still wanted to hang him for obviously, self defense. It just doesn't get any crazier in this state.:dontknow:

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
its like you saved your self but shot a wolf your under arrest. bunch of morons

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With wolves you say, no..... They couldn’t have gotten the aggression from them, all those city living swampy eco activist claim wolves have never attacked a human.

But seriously though, coyotes down deep south can grow balls but just a shot will run them off or even a yell. Those northern ones in wolf country need to be put in another class; that is like having a convict breeding program.

Its rare up here but does happen. many of those city dwellers love to brag about going on their walking "tours" in the woods/national parks etc, but never seem to take into account what any kind of animal for that matter can do to them if the circumstances are right. Rabies etc.

Although I don't think we are allowed carry a gun in our parks, so eh.

Maybe they should take lessons as a Ninja well versed in knife play before heading into the woods. :tongue3:

"Coyotes kill teen folk singer in Cape Breton park."

A young Canadian folk singer who had just set off on a solo tour to boost a promising musical career died Wednesday after being mauled by two coyotes in what is believed to be one of the country's first fatal attacks by the animals. Taylor Mitchell was hiking alone in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when a pair of coyotes attacked her, leaving her critically injured with bite wounds covering most of her body. The 19-year-old singer's screams for help were heard by at least two other hikers, who rushed to the Skyline Trail and called 911 at around 3 p.m. as the animals continued their brutal attack on the young Toronto woman.

Mitchell, who was on a three-week tour of the region to promote her debut CD, was to play in Sydney on Wednesday night when she decided to go for a hike in the scenic park.

Mitchell, who had about a dozen concert dates in the Maritimes, was rushed to a local hospital and then airlifted to Halifax. She died at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, police said.
Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said she was already in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and was bleeding heavily from multiple bite wounds.
"
She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.
"This was really out of the ordinary - the first I've heard of something like this."

RCMP Sgt. Brigdit Leger said officers shot one of the two animals, apparently wounding it, but both managed to get away.

An official with Parks Canada said they barricaded the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.
Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent, said there have been a handful of reports of aggressive coyotes over the last 15 years, but they have not seen any attacks on people.
"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," she said. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Coyotes kill teen folk singer in Cape Breton park | Living | Cape Breton Post

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a young man in NE Oregon that was elk hunting last fall. He was sitting on a stand when three wolves made a bee line for him. Two of them started to circle him and one headed directly at him. He capped him at about 20-30 feet. He contacted authorities and told them what happened. They still wanted to hang him for obviously, self defense. It just doesn't get any crazier in this state.:dontknow:

"Sitting in a stand", was it a tree stand? Tree stands kill more peole wovles.

My friend was telling me a story about an acquaintance, a tree stand, and a bear just yesterday. Bowhunter was up a tree deer hunting when a bear came along. He inadvertently made some noise, the bear made eye contact with him and rushed at the tree. Tried to c!imb up but banged his head on a screw in tree step and ran off.

He's got a photo of the tree step with hair and a bit of blood and flesh on it.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Sitting in a stand", was it a tree stand? Tree stands kill more peole wovles.

My friend was telling me a story about an acquaintance, a tree stand, and a bear just yesterday. Bowhunter was up a tree deer hunting when a bear came along. He inadvertently made some noise, the bear made eye contact with him and rushed at the tree. Tried to c!imb up but banged his head on a screw in tree step and ran off.

He's got a photo of the tree step with hair and a bit of blood and flesh on it.

Wow lol. Crazy.

I guess it would be a good idea to use many long sharp spikes or screws pointing down all around as a defense mechanism in bear country.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're in bear or cat country it doesn't hurt to carry a large
can of bear spray. It'll stop a cougar better than a bear, and
you both get to live another day.

NEVER run from a cougar...if you do, you just became a toy... spider-0173.gif

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow lol. Crazy.

I guess it would be a good idea to use many long sharp spikes or screws pointing down all around as a defense mechanism in bear country.

With black bears you gotta fear a sow with cubs but it's the young males that are completely unpredictable. They are looking for a territory.

You know where the best place to shoot a bear is?

Within 20' of your pickup truck. :laughing7:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in bear or cat country it doesn't hurt to carry a large
can of bear spray. It'll stop a cougar better than a bear, and
you both get to live another day.

NEVER run from a cougar...if you do, you just became a toy... View attachment 1591327

Cats always aim for the neck. If that cat hits you from behind, which is how they hunt, you will be dead before you can draw. A steel collar(on you, not the cat) might give you a fighting chance.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could of been a peacock. Does sound like a woman's scream. Law was called when my Petey wandered up the road, near a store. People going in and out the building or just pumping gas was trying to figure out where the scream was coming from. The deputy who responded, noticed him on a roof of a house, and told them that's the culprit.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're gonna look pretty foolish if somebody catches you carrying bear spray or wearing an iron collar to protect yourself from Peacocks. With peacocks you just shoo them away with a rolled up copy of The Rifleman. :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A woman walking her dog on a trail in a nature area was chased up a tree by some coyotes.
The dog took off, but the coyotes stayed by the tree.
The woman had her cell phone on her and called for help. The police were surprised at first not to sure about the call till they talked more with her and found out there 3-4 of the coyotes surrounding the tree.
The coyotes took off when they heard the police siren.
She found her dog, but i didn't hear if the dog was ok or not.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm relating this third-hand, but years ago I heard from an outraged parent of a child threatened by a cougar, being told he could not protect the little one because 'endangered species.'

It's people who are endangered. Anyone who spews this sort of can't-harm-the-predators nonsense either knows ZERO about 'nature,' or has an agenda, and it's not a good one.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used