Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A local small contractor contacted me to help find a missing tooth off of his bucket on his backhoe. it was the corner tooth and not having it made a smooth outside dig impossible. It was also an oddball size as he found out, having bought two replacements that didn't fit at all. He had no idea where it could be for sure other that at the site where he had been digging shale fill or at the site where he had been taking the fill. So, we started at the digging site, what a mess! I brought the Deus and the AT GOLD and ended up using the Gold because of the water at the site. I was thinking that the shale would be solid and most of it was except for about a foot or so of mushy shale mud. After an hour or so, around the huge hole and then in it, I told him that it wasn't there.

So, we loaded up and headed to the dump site. Got there and there was about fifteen pretty good size piles of muddy shale. He seemed certain that the last piles were at the far end so we headed there first. I am looking for a good sized piece of iron and immediately got a very loud hard hit and then another and then another and so on. This was at an old and still existing sawmill and there was tons of big iron everywhere and I was picking it all up. After a couple hours of digging big iron (he dug a lot of it) we were hot and tired. He said that he would just have to drive about 3 hours to Little Rock and hope that this other place had what he needed. As we walked back to his truck, I continued to hit the other piles as quickly as I could.

Then, as I hit the very last pile (the 1st one that we walked past) I had a pretty good hit a little higher on the side of the pile. I told him that this had to be it. He was hot and didn't want to dig another spot but he brought the shovel over and in the third shovel, out plopped the tooth. Suddenly a huge smile appeared on his face as he grabbed it up and then gave me a big bear hug. The relief of getting it back was so much and he asked what he owed me. Now normally I say nothing but a handshake and a pic but this time I told him a drink of water would be nice. So, a bottle of cold water and we were headed back. He got the tooth welded back on right away and is very happy. Have a very good friend too.

Attachments

• 20171024_121408.jpg
    20171024_121408.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171024_121416.jpg
    20171024_121416.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 61

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done.
It is a whole nother dimension in detecting to recover a lost item on purpose.
Plenty of other targets turn up and holler ,here!, here!

Ignoring targets one would usually stop and dig is tough too......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job Dirtlooter on the large "tooth" recovery! :occasion14: Thank you for sharing. :icon_thumleft:

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes helping people find what they need is more rewarding than just looking for yourself. Great job not giving up, I know the feeling of wanting to finish the job!

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Plainfield,IL
Detector(s) used
Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally agree. I searched a farm field where my neighbors' wife was killed for the car wash tokens that were in her car. The finding of those tokens were like gold to him. And I was glad I did it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good job Dirtlooter. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this guy is a hard working guy. not one of the bigger guys and this was costing him time and money as he chased parts that ended up not fitting. He apologized for not knowing which piles for sure were the last ones he dumped, he just didn't pay attention as he hurried back for more fill. I was feeling pretty bad for the guy but the big iron was crazy at this spot. it is a really great feeling to finally find what you are searching for. also hard to explain that just because you have a detector doesn't mean that you will go right to it. X-Ray vision would definitely help LOL.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
Sounds like you saved him three hours each way, so you earned a good 6 hours of digging sometime...nice!

Viaqua

Feb 12, 2014
Jensen Beach Fla.
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can never have too many friends or good Karma, well done. :laughing7:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recovery dirtlooter. Most unusual to have the entire shank fall off the bucket. Must have been poorly welded.

dhog

Feb 26, 2018
SW Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 400 AT PRO Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, and helping someone else :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread