Need An Honest Opinion

May 6, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
Whites/ Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow diggers,
I finally joined this site after years of just browsing without posting. I’m looking to buy another detector and need a little help please;
Looking to purchase a Minelab E-Trac and want advise against the below detectors; which is better? I will be hunting coins/ jewelry and relics in very dry dirt for the most part. How does the E-Trac compare to these models below?
1. CTX 3030
2. Deus
3. Equinox
4. Or any other machine suggestions.

Thanks For Helping Me Out.
Rod

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My opinion is that if you are hunting in water part of the time get a machine that is fully waterproof. Buy a machine that has good factory support as you will have questions for sure. And from your list of prospects, you are willing to pay quite a bit so ask the guys on the forum that have the machines listed in their username bio plenty of questions as to their settings, etc. And welcome to the forum.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. It all depends on the type of soil you have, mineralized or not, and if there is a lot of iron, like nails in it. If it is mild soil, I'd go for the Deus or The Equinox.

If a lot of iron, either the Deus or Equinox.

If mineralized with a lot of iron, the Deus.

The CTX 3030 is too slow in a lot of cases. I'd try to "test drive" at a dealer's store before you buy, each has it's merits, each it's drawbacks.

OP
OP
R
May 6, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
Whites/ Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that if you are hunting in water part of the time get a machine that is fully waterproof. Buy a machine that has good factory support as you will have questions for sure. And from your list of prospects, you are willing to pay quite a bit so ask the guys on the forum that have the machines listed in their username bio plenty of questions as to their settings, etc. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I won’t be using it in water I have a Surfmaster for that so it’s land only.

OP
OP
R
May 6, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
Whites/ Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
It’s both heavy trash areas and some non trash areas. The soil is mostly very dry Nevada dust with low mineralization but lots of iron trash.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LIKE THE PLAIN OL Garrett AT PRO Hunting like a pro in 10 minutes.
The CTX 3030 (I own one) Is very difficult to learn. You may give up on it before you can actually hunt with it.

OP
OP
R
May 6, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Detector(s) used
Whites/ Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
I use an AT Pro as well and love it but want a good discriminating machine with depth.

moonlooter

Greenie
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey trdking I’m new to metal detecting. To day I found and old trap with my AT Pro.. any idea how old it is? Mid 1900s you think? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525640991.589629.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CTX 3030, or the Equinox 800. Big Silver & Gold to you!:occasion14:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marverty First let me say I am glad you decided to join. Now as to what detectors you should decide on try this. Search on here for members in your area and see if maybe they would help you decide by trying there machines out. Some machines have a real hard learning curve. I thought maybe someone close to you might take you out and let them play with the machines while they was with you . I know if you was in my Area i would let you TRY ALL the machines you listed out. Hopeing some day we could be detecting buddys :) See on here if people are in your area and maybe they would work with you to try some out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread