Ariel View Mapping How I Do It Step By Step

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
A lot of people ask me how I map out the Ariel view of the places I do. So here is how I do it:

1) Download Google Earth (it's free)
http://earth.google.com/
2) Find the place you are looking for and zoom in as close as you want.
3) Top left corner click on "FILE"
4) Click on "SAVE"
5) Click on "SAVE IMAGE" and choose the name for the file, and where you want to store it, such as "My Documents or My Pictures"
6) Go to Windows "PAINT" program
7) Top left corner click "FILE"
8) Click on "OPEN"
9) Choose the location and file your image is in and open it.
Your image will now be on the screen where you can add text, draw lines, or modify it in any number of ways.
Once you have it modified the way you want it:
10) Top left corner click "FILE"
11) Click on "SAVE AS" and a smaller screen will come up with the original file
12) Click "SAVE" and you will save your modified image.
You can keep coming back to that file in the "PAINT" program and modify it and save it as many times as you like.
It takes some playing around with to get the hang of it, but it is really simple once you figure out how everything works.

Some examples in the pics.

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 463
  • FOOTBALL FIELD.jpg
    FOOTBALL FIELD.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 443

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Thanks pigman I think you will see a lot more posts looking as professional as yours. HH

Jeff

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
woodspiritcarver said:
Thanks pigman I think you will see a lot more posts looking as professional as yours. HH

Jeff

I hope so. That's what this is all about, sharing and helping each other. I keep all that I do for personal reference and to analyze where things are more likely to be found in the future. Hope this helps all who are interested.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks very much piggman1, I will definately give it a try and see how it goes ;D

God bless
Peter

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
This is a great way to do it Piggman. Thanks a bunch. Sure beats drawing diagrams and taking several pictures of the site that you hunt.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I was impressed too with your detailed aerial maps.

HH

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
It takes a little playing around with to get the hang of what everything does in the "paint" program. I tried to explain it where everyone could at least get a good start on it. Any help I can be just PM me and I will help you work it out.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Thanks Dave, that's what I like about you. Always willing to jump in and help out. I'm going to have to turn my printer on, make a copy of your instructions and jump on my wife's computer and try this out. Can't do it on this Webtv thingy....
HH al

Desertfox

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Thanks for the very easy to understand info P M , heck I was afraid
you were using a $500.00 photo imaging program , but its all done in
windows :) ....simple and easy ( once ya know how ) ;)

Doozis (proud freshman at the Piggman/Sandman University of Metal Detecting Excellence)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea piggman1....i like downloading the images and printing for reference but never thought of your idea.

And BTW...where is that saved for others area? looks like you've pulled a fair share of goodies from there.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
deepskyal said:
Great idea piggman1....i like downloading the images and printing for reference but never thought of your idea.

And BTW...where is that saved for others area? looks like you've pulled a fair share of goodies from there.

That "others area", I was one of the others a while back when I had some time and didn't want to go far. Didn't find anything worth mentioning, but I am starting over the whole area again to see what I missed the first time. This time using a 4 X 6 DD coil instead of the 9 1/2" coil. Here was my first trip over one section:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,108041.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread