Has Anyone Never Liked Their New MD

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the past couple of years watching folks on this website when new machines come out really makes me wonder, is everyone really happy with their new machines.

When I switched over from a GPX4500 to a GPZ I hated it at first.Even had a mate showing me and my wife how to for two days. Wife loved it right away, took me about 6 weeks to even warm up to it, felt like playing a darn video game whilst MDing. Only two thing that kept on at it was the obvious tech specs, and my wife was killing it on ground that only had moderate finds with the GPX.

By the time the new coil came out my wife was using the GPZ as a beach machine (not surf). Took me a good while to really like the machine and be able to run good, but now I would not trade it for anything else and own four of them.

So this is why I ask, is everyone just happy with their new MD regardless of what they up graded to, or is it just the idea of better tech specs (better machine) so they want to learn it more to find better.

Back when the AT Max came out my two older kids up graded, daughter was not pleased with the specs of the Max, she was coming from a AT Gold, so she asked around and ended up going Tesoro, son went from the AT Slow to the Max and ssaid he liked it but he was brand bias then, now you can not get his CTX out of his hands.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep...when I first brand-jumped. Was a long-time Whites user. Kept hearing about this Etrac thingie, and thought I'd give it a try. A week later, I was, like, "What the &%$# did I do?!?" But...about a month into it, what I was hearing and seeing FINALLY clicked, and I haven't looked back since.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol Oddjob! Only every detector I’ve owned. It seems I have to warm up with everything I purchase but after some use I start to get it and I fall in love for the 2nd time.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I research and see one in action. I'm happy with what I have.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I think there were five or six that I did not learn to love. Too heavy, hated their sounds, didn’t like their target ID function, to unbalanced feeling, never ending scrolling to change set up or too chattery. Loved my Xterra and Tiger Shark immediately and those two have hung around while the rest came and went.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes, and I'm quick to dump the suckers.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated the ATX when I bought it. traded it for a CTX. I've been totally disappointed with the AT Max, even though the AT Pro is a great machine.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I am happy to see I am not the only one, over 30 years MDing and I see post on here all the time of how happy folks are with their new machine they just unboxed and all I can think is man I must be full on handicapped in the head because it seems everyone and their grandmother can just grab a new machine and be fluent with it like I can with a gun.

Good to see I may just fall under the borderline handicap and not full on. But still I have never dumped any machine and still own everyone I have ever had, my wife as well and she has been doing it just as long as me. The way I see it is a used MD is like a used microwave oven, I would not want a used one, sure not hurting for money so I would not sell anyone my used one.

Used to I only felt like I screwed up when I would switch brands, going from Whites to Minelab. These days though, just jump from a GPX to the GPZ and that sat me down.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
010.JPG
I'm love :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So to be honest, I sold the AT Pro quickly. I found it unwieldy and just couldn't get used to it. I had a Tesoro Lobo at the time.

I used a White's TDI for a special couple of digs but sold it as I just didn't want it anymore, nothing wrong with the machine though.

I did not like the Tesoro Cortez, but I bought it used and think it needed repair.

The most recent one to go bye bye was the Minelab Equinox 600. I found it nose heavy and it hurt my shoulder and I had bought it specifically for a salt water beach, but decided this year I'm not doing the water, so had no use for it and it went.

Other than that, and this is over a decade, the only machine I really DIDN"T like was the AT Pro. I never gave it much of a chance. The Tesoro needed a repair and I didn't need another machine and the other two would have been special use machines which I decided not to bother doing.

I have four machines now. No need for anything new. Two are loaned out to my daughter and son in law.

There was nothing really WRONG with any of them, but I just decided to do something different.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had buyers remorse since almost all the machines I bought were used and selling cheap or a barter deal. Most I had no intentions of doing more than to use them for a little while, rate than against my main machine, and then sell. If I ain't using it, I sell it before it depreciates further. I keep 3 detectors in my stable. My main one, a water machine, and a loaner. Like smokeythecat says "you can only swing one at a time".

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you have a machine that works, you should do ok. My BEST items ever were all softballs! A $129 machine would have found them. Just coincidence maybe, but all seven of my Civil War plates were less than 6" deep. They were just missed. My two Revolutionary war plates were less than I guess 4" deep. Most of my CW buttons were 6" or less. My Cibola has found more deep CW targets than anything I have ever owned. Before that the Lobo found the bulk of the Rev War items.

I don't particularly like parks, I like digging in the wilds.

What I do NOT like is somebody inferring your machine is a POS, or at least yesterday's cat food and you must get (insert brand here) to be successful. That is trash talk. Everyone is different, everyone has a different budget, and has the right to choose for themselves. We also have the right to make bad choices.:tongue3: I've done that. This is a hobby, not a contest. Have fun people with what you have to work with, and if you get something better, wonderful! If you find a $5 ring with a $129 machine, GREAT! If you find a $5k ring with a $800 machine, also great! HAVE FUN and go dig something!

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an early Minelab Sovereign I didn't like. Boxy heavy and didn't like the strange tones.....I hear good things about the Explorer 2 though. The 90s Teknetics 8500 spoiled me as nothing has compared since....and I have purchased quite a few machines. May have to pick up a Tesoro Cibola or Mojave just to tide me over til First Texas new offerings hit the market.

Parks have to be at the bottom of my list as well. Some are dangerous with shady people, lots of trash and have been worked over. I have found most of my silver with permissions & old school yards. Would like to try farm and ranch fields that may have old trail history or less plowed over.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have loved every metal detector I have ever owned, I just loved my next one better. Same with all of my wives.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I can't truly say I've loved every one. It's kinda like Goldilocks, too heavy, too chirpy, won't discriminate (PI's), wrong color...no, not that excuse. However, I sold the ones I didn't like fast and the new owners liked them, so to each his or her own. I was at a group dig in Virginia a couple years back and some of the guys had those huge PI Minelabs. I picked one up. I put it down. THAT was heavy, and I can't do heavy anymore. They did very well with them. At least most of them did. The ones that got the machine over the target. I saw one guy with about 10 pounds of ancient nails.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be keeping my explorer xs, White's Coinmaster and my equinox 600. The rest of my detectors are up for sale. Only keeping to ones I will use or want to keep.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One good thing, no matter what you use, there will always be a market for good, used machines, no matter what kind they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread