Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ghJohn93Mn

Greenie
Sep 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kid,
I believe a metal detector is as good as the person using it, meaning if you learn the detector to the point that it becomes an extention of yourself you are going to have massive success. I use a cheap entry level Barska and it's been great. I borrowed a friends Garrett 150 and I was impressed enough to buy a Chinese knock off of it on Wish.com for $75. So, I believe the cost of higher end models does not outweigh the performance of most cheaper models so I can not justify spending the extra money. Get the Garrett 200 and get yourself a pin pointer. You won't be disappointed! Good luck RandyTheKid!
If you don't believe me, here's one of my Barska finds![emoji6] 2018-05-02%2013.41.46.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I just got back from the store bought a prepaid card checking out the detectors now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you buy, check out the Tesoro Compadre, with the 8" coil. You need gloves, a good digger, kneepads, and eventually, a pinpointer. :skullflag:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you buy, check out the Tesoro Compadre, with the 8" coil. You need gloves, a good digger, kneepads, and eventually, a pinpointer. :skullflag:

I use the gloves, a $5 lowes trowel, no kneepads and no pinpointer

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Kid,
I believe a metal detector is as good as the person using it, meaning if you learn the detector to the point that it becomes an extention of yourself you are going to have massive success. I use a cheap entry level Barska and it's been great. I borrowed a friends Garrett 150 and I was impressed enough to buy a Chinese knock off of it on Wish.com for $75. So, I believe the cost of higher end models does not outweigh the performance of most cheaper models so I can not justify spending the extra money. Get the Garrett 200 and get yourself a pin pointer. You won't be disappointed! Good luck RandyTheKid!
If you don't believe me, here's one of my Barska finds![emoji6] View attachment 1589367

ok I'll bite, what is it? a rock?

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up getting the Garrett Ace 300, Garrett hand trowel, belt pouch and before i bought the detector i was at the swap meet and bought 7 pairs of leather gloves for 20 dollars. As for knee pads i have some combat knee pads from my brother. Before i can buy a pin pointer i have to pay my 125 loan

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now get that coil over some silver and gold! Good luck and keep us posted!!:headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling the trigger on the 300 vs the 200. If you are like many of us, you'll be buying a higher end machine soon enough.

I use a nail apron as my finds pouch (88 cents), they last for a season or two.
nail apron.jpg

My 1st shovel came from Lowes for $8 to $9 bucks

755625009180lg.jpg

I upgraded to this shovel after 2 years, it's great for a coin shooter like me.

$_12.jpg

I get my gloves at Lowes (10 pack) for $10

662909947857lg.jpg

I hunted my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer. I won't hunt without one now. Having one really speeds up the time you retrieve a target which allows you to dig more targets during a hunt.

I do have an expensive pair of headphones, but often hunt with a cheap pair of foam ended ones, especially in the hotter months.

cheap headphones.jpg

Using headphones let's you be more discrete, hear more targets and it saves on battery life in lieu of using the speaker.

I did start with a $13 garden trowel, but moved up to a Lesche hand digging tool

th (13).jpg

My 1st pair of knee pads, lasted for 4 seasons, I just bought another pair at a home improvement store. I only use one on my right knee.

You need to get out there and dig some treasure or mucho clad so you can get the best gear "for you" to really enjoy the hobby.

This is a hobby that funds itself if you put the time in.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the head phones that come with the Garrett are just fine for right now?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread