Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, don't quite work that way. Only the City has that right but not the public. That said, I do like the way you think!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Nope. The city has an easement for things such as sidewalks, utility poles, perhaps for underground pipes and wires, etc. Although you are a citizen of the city, the fact the city has an easement doesn't mean you have the right to trespass on the property that belongs to other people. You're not the city. And I'm quite sure, without looking, that metal detecting is not a permitted use for the city under that easement.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ask the city guy if you are allowed to use a chain saw on their easement on YOUR property :BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here they have 15' from the center line of the street.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here they have 15' from the center line of the street.
How can that be? I believe most streets must be at least 33 ft wide. If so, your property still has easement into you lawn or whatever. ╦╦Ç

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Safest bet to detect a right of way that involves a home/ lands property without risking stepping on toes or laws ...is to have the home/ land owners permission.
Use is usually limited.

The county cleared the right I f way of brush along one side of my hunting property.
Brush that had served as screening from prying eyes till then. But, they have the right.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, i went to the city upset. I was told they heve the right (easement) to do anything 15 ft into my property line. It it belongs to the city or county that means we shouldnt have to ask permission to metal detect 15ft into peoples property????

It is called utility easement and they are correct. Utility easements do not give public the right to trespass. I worked telcom for 35 years our cables were in utilities easements and we could install or run anything required for our utilities. FYI, the public does not have the right to trespass on utility easements either and you can be arrested for trespass. The documented easement will show up when you do a title search.

Had several homeowners try to fight against our use of the easement and ALL, every single one lost in court. we had one who actually took a saw and cut our pipe in half which cut our fiber optics, it was carrying transcontinental fiber lines. It was originally installed for natural gas, but company I worked for were now using it for fiber optics, he wanted more money for the easement right, he was advised it doesn't work that way so he got mad dug up pipe and cut it.

When we responded to repair the cut he actually stood in drive way with a shotgun and would not let us on the property to repair the cut, demanding money for the right. Local sheriff who was friends with the homeowner would not get us access, saying it's his property, we went back with federal agents who informed the sheriff and farm owner they were violating the law.

To make a long story short the homeowner did not have enough insurance to cover the cost of the repairs which the homeowner was responsible for and he lost his farm. The bill was in multiple 7 figures, the fiber was carrying government lines, FAA lines between St Louis and Kansas City for airports, we also had contracts requiring us to pay many customers on our lines for down time over 5 minutes which he had to cover. Judge ruled he was responsible for all costs since he intentionally cut pipe then delayed the repair. Repair of fiber optics is very, very expensive.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, i went to the city upset. I was told they heve the right (easement) to do anything 15 ft into my property line. It it belongs to the city or county that means we shouldnt have to ask permission to metal detect 15ft into peoples property????

Key word there is that "THEY" have the right.

If you were a municipality or a utility then you would have a right. But you're just you and only have the rights "they" allow. An "easement" is much different than "public access".

The NYS power grid has a high-tension line that cuts a 60 ft wide x 400 ft long swath across the back corner of my property. That does not mean I have to allow anyone that wants access to that property. Just the utility crews.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key word there is that "THEY" have the right.

If you were a municipality or a utility then you would have a right. But you're just you and only have the rights "they" allow. An "easement" is much different than "public access".

The NYS power grid has a high-tension line that cuts a 60 ft wide x 400 ft long swath across the back corner of my property. That does not mean I have to allow anyone that wants access to that property. Just the utility crews.

100% correct.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
How can that be? I believe most streets must be at least 33 ft wide. If so, your property still has easement into you lawn or whatever. ╦╦Ç

It likely depends on how the property owner's land lays as to whether the city and/or county would declare and/or even want an easement through the property owner's property. In Randolph County West Virginia where I lived from 1984 to 1994 due to my job, the City (Elkins) and County only had easements of 15 feet from the center line of the road I lived on in many locations. However, when they destroyed springs that fed many wells when the came through with sewer lines and then had to put in water lines, they had to ask me for the rights to put the water line through my' property. They had came to within 50 yards of my' property with the water line and when faced with digging up the roadway, taking the lines up and along a steep slope on the other side of the road which would have probably cost them an extra $100,000 or more, they came to me. The funny thing was, is that the guy that owned the property on the other side of the road, was actually lobbying for them to come through his property and telling the officials that I said that they could not come through my' property which was a blatant lie and one which came back to bite him in his' a&*. He was either trying to get water hookups and free water from them or vying for favors down the road. However, I confronted him right in front of the City and County Officials and exposed his lies. (Yeah, I know that I could have left the story out but felt it made for a more interesting reply!)

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the town "owns" ten feet into one's property from the curb. I recently had a fairly large tree just about ten feet from the road die and start to deteriorate so I called the town and they kindly removed it for me with no charge. Several of my friends have had the town remove dead trees from their easements also, all with no charge to the property owner. Not a bad situation in my opinion. I think it is a good thing that they will remove any dead trees that threaten power lines or traffic. It would have likely cost me well over $500 to have that tree removed and being retired on a fixed income it would have been a financial burden for me to have had to pay to have it done. There is also a fire hydrant on that ten foot easement and they regularly come by and trim away any brush that grows around it.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be armed with the truth. You are in th SAME boat as every other home owner. You are NOT being singled out.

Live and let live. Utilities are nessesary, and your property needs to be utilized.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thing it did not happen in my home state or the person on the phone would have put you hold, then an hour later come back on to tell you a crew will be by next week to put in the middle of your drive way.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Be armed with the truth. You are in th SAME boat as every other home owner. You are NOT being singled out.

Live and let live. Utilities are necessary, and your property needs to be utilized.

?? For what, Refugee Camps or Safe Havens? Enlighten me as to what you meant by this statement.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is called utility easement and they are correct. Utility easements do not give public the right to trespass. I worked telcom for 35 years our cables were in utilities easements and we could install or run anything required for our utilities. FYI, the public does not have the right to trespass on utility easements either and you can be arrested for trespass. The documented easement will show up when you do a title search.

Had several homeowners try to fight against our use of the easement and ALL, every single one lost in court. we had one who actually took a saw and cut our pipe in half which cut our fiber optics, it was carrying transcontinental fiber lines. It was originally installed for natural gas, but company I worked for were now using it for fiber optics, he wanted more money for the easement right, he was advised it doesn't work that way so he got mad dug up pipe and cut it.

When we responded to repair the cut he actually stood in drive way with a shotgun and would not let us on the property to repair the cut, demanding money for the right. Local sheriff who was friends with the homeowner would not get us access, saying it's his property, we went back with federal agents who informed the sheriff and farm owner they were violating the law.

To make a long story short the homeowner did not have enough insurance to cover the cost of the repairs which the homeowner was responsible for and he lost his farm. The bill was in multiple 7 figures, the fiber was carrying government lines, FAA lines between St Louis and Kansas City for airports, we also had contracts requiring us to pay many customers on our lines for down time over 5 minutes which he had to cover. Judge ruled he was responsible for all costs since he intentionally cut pipe then delayed the repair. Repair of fiber optics is very, very expensive.

Wow TH, that is a heck of a story! I had 39 years with the Electric/Gas utility out here before I retired. We had similar issues from time to time.

Public and easement rights can get very confusing!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread