eatingpopcorn1%202_zps9gmv4708.gif

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
City owned? So publicly owned?

Here, if they don't want you on public land, they put up a fence and signs. If I don't see those, I assume that it's okay for me to be there. At the parks, they put up a sign saying what you can't do. If that "can't do" sign does not mention metal detecting (or there is no "can't do" sign), then it's game on as far as I'm concerned.

tl;dr version: no fences, no signs, no problems. (For land owned by local governments only. Private property, federal land, and some state land is a different story.)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Are these legal to hunt without permission in your area? What wording should I look for an ordinances?

If there's nothing in your city code that has a blanket "no md'ing" law or rule, then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

And oddly, since a city owned vacant lot (eminent domain, etc...) isn't a city "park", then ... ironically ..... anything in your city park's rules/codes would not apply. Since that only applies to city parks. It would have to be an over-arching border to border rule for all city property. And I highly doubt that exists.

I never hesitate to hit such spots.

NorCalSmitty

Mar 13, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro:
BH Tracker IV:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit them like it’s your business to be there in the first place.

If asked to leave by someone with the authority to do so,
leave with a smile on your face.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put on an orange vest and a hard hat. Just locating pipes folks, nothing to see here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread