Are These Real Morel Mushrooms or Look-Alike Morels?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for morel mushrooms for a week now with no luck. But today I found two growing out of the steps in my bulkhead! Not sure if they're the real deal, so give me your opinion. I'm going to cut them open later to see what they look like inside. The real ones are hollow, while the look-alike mushrooms are not.

Give me your opinion on these mushrooms! One looks pretty tasty, but the other had a broken stem and doesn't look too good!

DSC08717.JPG DSC08718.JPG DSC08714.JPG DSC08715.JPG DSC08719.JPG DSC08720.JPG

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut one and see if it is solid or hollow inside. If it if hollow clean out the critters and cook it. If mostly solid inside it is a kind of false morel.

You can eat false morel without dying but you will probably wish you would.

Edit, just need to add that there is one kind of false morel that is hollow. They look like a candle with the base of the cap about as big around as the base of a relatively long stem. Do not eat those.

Also, if a morel looks like it is going bad they might make you ill from bacteria. . Do Not throw them in the trash. Crumple them up and sprinkle them on a woodplie.

Last edited:

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look a little haggard, but they are 100% morels, they are not false morels

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking for morel mushrooms for a week now with no luck. But today I found two growing out of the steps in my bulkhead! Not sure if they're the real deal, so give me your opinion. I'm going to cut them open later to see what they look like inside. The real ones are hollow, while the look-alike mushrooms are not.

Give me your opinion on these mushrooms! One looks pretty tasty, but the other had a broken stem and doesn't look too good!

View attachment 1591334 View attachment 1591335 View attachment 1591336 View attachment 1591337 View attachment 1591338 View attachment 1591339

They appear to be what we used to call "black morals".... nothing wrong with them if so. Heat that skillet up, add some butter and fry away!!!!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! I'm hoping to find some more tomorrow. Not much point frying just two of them!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim... I can't swear to this statement... but I lived in MI. and when I (Key word being "I") found some "black morals" they were everywhere in close proximity. And the other morels seemed to be further spaced apart. But this statement is where I hunted them only. I admit I'm NOT a morel expert... Best of luck to ya buddy!!!! Brad

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not going to eat them do what Duckshot said crumple them up and throw them on a wood pile.. It seems a bit late for Morel's but I live in the South

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever you do, don’t post about eating them on facebook, like that guy did and had a visit by law enforcement for possible consumption of “[FONT=lucida_granderegular]psychedelic” mushrooms.

The man was about to enjoy his morel mushrooms sautéed in brown sugar and cinnamon. [/FONT]

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be a little late, but they are the real deal. No doubt.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own, but the only mushrooms I eat are the ones from the Grocery store.
Marvin

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I chickened out and gave the mushrooms to the critters in my yard. Still haven't found any more since that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread