Hidden Meaning in this print?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I believe Gen. Custer's younger brother Boston, was with him, as well. Boston was on summer vacation from Harvard College.

Chances are the figure in the foreground is Lonesome Charley Reynolds, a scout.

A print of that painting hung in almost every bar and saloon in the Old West.

There has been interesting speculation about Frank Grouard - also a scout. He was also present at Wounded Knee.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old book: Always enjoy your inputs.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Tom in CA:

Thank you! If you haven't read The Life of Frank Grouard it's a very interesting book. Very rare in the first edition, but the Time Life reprint is readily available.

Flashman and Redskins (not a novel for everyone!) speculates that Grouard fought on both sides of that battle.

A TN member was writing a book about that battle. Like so many other similar works, I don't believe it has yet seen the light of day.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Meanwhile the kneeling figure to his right has a bead on Custer, so what side is he on? Never made sense to me either.

I noticed that too. I think the lucky troopers were the ones who died instantly or almost instantly. Some shot themselves, knowing what was in store.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I should have made myself clearer. I am talking about the figure in the buckskin clothes and grey hat with his back to us as shown in the close up picture. He is just standing there.

That's one of Custer's Indian scouts slowing backing up and saying "Nothing to see here. Just an Indian like you guys."

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would it matter ? Are you thinking there's some hidden clue of treasure ? Or ... ?

No I don't think it is a clue or anything. I just found it odd that amid all the turmoil there is a lone figure just standing there doing nothing.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
dts52: Isn't there a book about the battle Save The Last Bullet for Yourself? Obviously I wasn't there, but in my opinion Gen. Custer went down fighting. For all his many flaws (and certainly none of us are perfect) his courage was unquestioned. And he is the officer who helped save the Union army at Gettysburg.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Tom in CA:

There is a treasure story here - "The $375,000 Custer Massacre [?] Cache." You can read all about it in Emile Schurmacher's Lost Treasures and How to Find Them (1968). I'm sure the chapter is accurate because the cover promises "This Book Can Make You Rich." Bill Hanks told me that in his opinion this book had one of the very first accounts of the "Four Corners Gold Cache."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah,Custer was counting on killing women and children,as usual,he didn't count on running into Sioux warriors and Cheyenne dog soldiers.He screwed up.It wasn't Sand Creek.He didn't listen when the Cheyenne told him keep messing with us and you'll be a dead man.Thats why the NA women cleaned his ears out for him after he was dead,so he would hear better in the next life

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much in that painting is historically accurate. They didn't use sabers at the Little Bighorn. Custer wasn't at Sand Creek, but the Washita fight has been called a dress rehearsal for the Little Bighorn. That figure is just an artistic device to draw you into the painting as an observer, and apparently it worked since so many comments about it. Nobody can say for sure who killed Custer, as it was just a big confused melee at the end and most people didn't recognize him as he had cut his hair. Although you hear stories about how his body wasn't mutilated out of respect, it most likely probably was to some extant. There was just so many victims they just got tired of mutilated all of them. Walter Camp has some of the best info on the Washita and Greasy Grass fights.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey RGINN I know Custer wasn't at sand Creek.I threw that in there as an example of how the cavalry's liked killing those who couldn't fight back.Most people's idea of native Americans come from movies and TV,those examples couldn't be further from the truth.Custer choose the badest azzes around to pick on.He was warned but didn't heed the warning.He got what he deserved.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another site the mysterious figure has been identified as Autie Reed, Custer's nephew and the kneeling figure beside him is "Halfbreed". This info came from an original copy that has the names underneath the picture.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that in the end he was wearing an ARROW Shirt.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread