PLEASE TELL ME WHY PEOPLE DO NOT...

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all! I am curious as to why so many people race around an area when swinging...I mean it's fine with me, I'll just swing like a turtle behind them and pick up everything they rushed past. My only guess would be they are "cherry picking" or the "wife" is *****ing and they want to hurry home!!! 😂. I love the curb patches of grass. People are amazingly good at loosing g things fumbling for keys or whatever. The area between the curb and sidewalk produces quite well ***just wear cut resistant gloves***

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes we are cherry picking, unless it's not our first go at the site, then most slow down to pull all good targtes. Public spaces are hit by everybody, so yes cherry picking is preferred in my area since there are more MDer's now than there were a decade ago.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good question, DD. Most detectorists are in too big of a hurry these days and I'll admit that I'm often guilty of that too. I make my best finds when I slow down and work a tight grid pattern with little or no discrimination or notch filter. I also enjoy detecting more when I'm not in a hurry and when I remind myself that I'm there to have fun and relax. I'm not there to win a competition hunt.
Just today, I decided to hold an in-the-field Workshop for our Central Texas Treasure Club members, in a few weeks, about How to Get the Most from Your Detector. I will have each attending member flag a small hunt area in a field that's been heavily detected in the past. I'm going to instruct them first to turn their discriminators up to the highest discrimination level on their detectors and hunt their area, digging every target, until they've finished their spot. Then I'll have them hunt it again with their discriminators set on a medium setting so that it will eliminate iron, pull tabs, and nickels. Lastly, they'll detect their areas in All-Metal Mode until they've worked every inch with all three settings. At the end of each round, they will put their cherry-picked finds (full discrimination) in a pile and they'll make separate piles for each of the final two stages' finds. Lastly, we'll all compare our finds from each round and just see how much good stuff we miss by cherry-picking too much of the time. I've successfully used this technique several times in the past in very heavily detected spots. I believe our club members will benefit from such a workshop and hopefully it will help them make better finds in the future.
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes people move quickly because they are scouting out a site that may be new to them. It gives them an idea of what types of targets are showing up and where they are. At some point they'll usually slow down and start focusing on specific areas.

Some are cherry picking.

Some are just newer to the hobby and are still figuring things out.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am swinging fast, I'm trying to get to some bushes to take a leak. At my age you just can't delay.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those quick swingers are also lifting the coil at the ends of the swing, they are just not good at it, plain and simple. Also, they are only detecting some of the searched area. A complete waste of time, in my opinion. ╦╦Ç

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i am headed to a specific area, such as a tree on the other side of a property i tend to swing the detector as i walk just for the off chance of getting a signal. the swings are not overlapped because i am not really interested in the area i am walking thru at that time.

Viaqua

Feb 12, 2014
Jensen Beach Fla.
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see people swinging their detector like a sling blade with the coil swinging 2ft off the sand here on the beaches.

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will swing and walk fast if the area is brand new to me and I want to get a feel for what I am dealing with ground wise. I like to see if there is a lot of trash in the ground and also see if I pick up any quick clad coins to give me an idea of how hunted the site has been in the past. I will also just swing the detector fast if I have a certain spot that I want to hunt and I am walking from point A to point B.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks only have so much time to swing. Some areas have been hunted out and they are looking for new drops. Some see no trash and know someone else has already hunted the area. Last, if your going from one area to the next, why not drop the coil you may just be surprised at the random stuff you find.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I will swing and walk fast if the area is brand new to me and I want to get a feel for what I am dealing with ground wise. I like to see if there is a lot of trash in the ground and also see if I pick up any quick clad coins to give me an idea of how hunted the site has been in the past. I will also just swing the detector fast if I have a certain spot that I want to hunt and I am walking from point A to point B.

All of the above.

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I saw a lot of that at the ND hunt this weekend. One guy was even going around with the coil knocked upwards. I went wide and smooth and overlapped my swings. Found a lot of coins.

Didn't win any of the big prizes.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When scouting I'll also go around a bit faster then when I grid a site. Eventually, I'll grid it so it matters not. I'll find what I missed later.

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i have like 3 hrs to metaldetect I go slow and try to dig the most i can. Towards the end of my 3 hrs i just try to cherry pick. If im waling to my car i also just dig good targets.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say i "Race" around. But I will go quickly in certain or new areas, just to get an idea of what is there. I don't want to spend half the day barely moving to find out it wasn't worth the hunt.

Once i establish that the place is worthy enough for me to hunt, I would slow it down and start griding out spots.

I've been to parks where it was 80% fill dirt..then find that one little sweet spot where I would start popping up wheats

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I walk slow but swing fast. Better target separation that way with some detectors.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see people swinging their detector like a sling blade with the coil swinging 2ft off the sand here on the beaches.

This is an example of how NOT to find much of anything.

My coil "swing" is more like I am spreading and smoothing out dirt... so low it makes the ants duck.

:P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some instances I am vary fast...

Because I am "one" with my detector... :P

Nah... Just know the blips in sound good enough to do so...
I can clear an area in no time flat if already familiar with it.

Low and slow is the way to go though. (MD poetry) :P

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this, Charlie, Garrett says slow.... take a silver dime at about 5 inches from the coil.... any coil. Go slow. Most will not hit on it. Now, take the same dime and WISK it past the coil. It will hit on it every time. Go figure! ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions