Spring steel

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
You can make a probe out of the torsion rods that hold the trunk lids open on many cars. The rods are about 4 foot long or so, and that is a popular size. Cut the ends off, sharpen one end, and weld a T handle on the other end.
You may need to go to a junkyard to find one of the rods.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not going to find it at your local hardware stores, Do you have any welding shops or machine shops in your area? they can order you 4140 steel, in any size or length, you can order it your self from online metals just give them a call and tell them what your needing. if your a scrounger you can find it like was said before in trunk lids or your old mattress . ( Metals Depot )

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I can find that easy. We have a guy that runs a metal shop that used to do work on our boats we used to buy. We have the rest of the material needed and the tools.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy enough to turn your steel rod into spring.Just heat it up until it turns blue then quench it.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meta teal supply houses have it, we have metal supermarket here in Alabama and they’re nationwide.

OP
OP
R

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My uncle ended up having a probe that was used to find vaults at the graveyard. Looks dead on the ones used for privy probe. It's bent though.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a place like Tractor Supply or Rural King, they should have what you need in their welding supplies.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not familiar with privy probes.You mean like a sheet of spring steel?

I happen to collect antique hand saws. Disston made their #12 saw from London spring steel and also some Craftsman saw were made with spring steel as late as the nineteen-forties. Spring steel saw blades make a distinctive "twaaaannng!" when struck with a coin instead of a "dingph" kind of sound. If you can find one with a broken handle you should be able to pick one up for less than $10. They ain't too common but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out if it suits your needs.

Pain in the azz to cut but it makes good rod-tip bobber for ice fishing.

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not familiar with privy probes.You mean like a sheet of spring steel?

I happen to collect antique hand saws. Disston made their #12 saw from London spring steel and also some Craftsman saw were made with spring steel as late as the nineteen-forties. Spring steel saw blades make a distinctive "twaaaannng!" when struck with a coin instead of a "dingph" kind of sound. If you can find one with a broken handle you should be able to pick one up for less than $10. They ain't too common but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out if it suits your needs.

Pain in the azz to cut but it makes good rod-tip bobber for ice fishing.

Thats cool you have a collection of Disston saws.Just learned of this guy yesterday.He's buried in a PA cemetery were I will RIP.Small underworld.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save yourself some time and trouble, especially if you don't have a welder, contact John Kendricks, Remington, VA he makes probes for that exact purpose, i.e. huts, privy's, etc.
He can be found on Mytreasurespot.com, Under DIV heading.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Would the hardware store carry spring steel? I'm looking to build a privy probe and I've never heard of spring steel.

Sharing a tip. Go to any places that sell wiper blades. Empty the trash can out front of the store. You'll find a bunch of them there!
Inside the blade is a thin long section of spring steel.
I use it to make my own lock picks.
Have a great day!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharing a tip. Go to any places that sell wiper blades. Empty the trash can out front of the store. You'll find a bunch of them there!
Inside the blade is a thin long section of spring steel.
I use it to make my own lock picks.
Have a great day!

What’s that going to do for finding a privy?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pipe suppliers sell probes . it's a must have tool when working on water and sewer mains

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck if I know. Just sharing a way to get spring steel for free.
Tack weld it together!

I’m familiar with a privy probe being about 1/4” in diameter and 4’ long, with a tee handle.
You find a depression you think may be an outhouse and probe the edges to see if the ground is soft. Many times people filled the top of the hole with dirt, meaning you have to put some weight on it to get it to punch through. If it sinks you have a hole rather than a rotten stump.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds about right. I'm 6'10"...hence the 5 footer lol
Soft materials will bend. Spring steel is rigid and won’t break easy. Dad made one from a steel grounding rod with a piece of steel pipe welded on the end. Seemed to work ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread