Smokety the Cat Are you Safe ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am safe. I was in NY this weekend at a Rev War battlefield fighting through 24" tall grass. Found a few things. Thank you for your thoughts. Ellicott City is about 50 miles from here. The old section of town is in a defile between two granite hills and will continue to flood like it did for time immemorial as the geography will never change. At my house on Sunday we maybe got 1/4" of rain.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody got a one! No ticks whatsoever. I guess I'm not tasty.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am safe. I was in NY this weekend at a Rev War battlefield fighting through 24" tall grass. Found a few things. Thank you for your thoughts. Ellicott City is about 50 miles from here. The old section of town is in a defile between two granite hills and will continue to flood like it did for time immemorial as the geography will never change. At my house on Sunday we maybe got 1/4" of rain.

We're about 60 miles or so from Ellicott City and like them, got about 8" of rain in less than 2 hours. It was our worst flooding as the flood waters flowed across the backyard over clay soil but only caused some erosion in the yard. When I saw the water level about 6" high up the basement door almost to the door glass, I was expecting water in the basement, but amazingly, only got a few drips. First time I have seen whitecaps in the backyard. Now I know we need to do some grading and need to dig a couple of large infiltration pits.

Ellicott City has a history of flooding but these are different. Previous floods, including one in 1868 that took about 50 lives, typically came up from the bottom of town from the Patapsco River. These last two floods came from above as the rain water itself formed into a flash flood and created several new temporary rivers through the town. The stormwater management is completely inadequate and no gov't is willing to pay for the necessary infrastructure. These new floods are the new reality and will continue.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flood waters in the Chesapeake Bay caught spawning horseshoe crabs sideways as they came ashore, flipping them sideways upside down and partially filling them with sand and partially burying them. When I found them the next morning, I managed to rescue all 52 crabs found along about 100 yards of beach. It is the most I have rescued in one place at one time for over 50 years.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Hurricane Sandy I rescued all the horseshoe crabs I cold find at the ocean. People look at me like I'm dumb when I do it, but they won't hurt you. We had a huge amount of rain here Sunday, basement had a little creep at the back wall of the house but I graded the area and put a just below grade line drain in a few years ago, so no biggie.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safe, but there better be some cream and soft towels showing up . . . NOW!

hqdefault.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Hurricane Sandy I rescued all the horseshoe crabs I cold find at the ocean. People look at me like I'm dumb when I do it, but they won't hurt you. We had a huge amount of rain here Sunday, basement had a little creep at the back wall of the house but I graded the area and put a just below grade line drain in a few years ago, so no biggie.

Happy to see another one who rescues horseshoe crabs. It is the species I most rescued as a child in the early 60's when my father would take me out surf fishing for striped bass on Cape Cod. I was too small to cast even the smallish 8' surf rod he gave me on the day I was born (some dads give their newborns catcher's mitts, mine it was a one-piece Shakespeare surf rod). I would run up and down the beach and liberate every horseshoe crab that the idiot surf fishermen stuck in the hard packed part of the beach by their telsons (tail) to slowly die. Their beef with the HSCs was that they ate clams. I told them they were living fossils, unchanged for over 400 million years, and their name was Limulus polyphemus. (yes, picture a 6-8 year old Sheldon Cooper and you would not be far off).
For years i dreamed of working in natural resources law enforcement and of dragging these fools from the beach in cuffs. Ultimately, i didn't go the LE route, but I did become a marine biologist and taught fish identification to natural resource officers and cadets, at least whenever they asked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread