Deep Grass on abandoned property Any advice?

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello everyone,
I've only been at this for about 3 months but am pretty well addicted. I only wish I had more time to get out there. I use a Tesoro Cibola and really like it so far. It has to be the absolute best pull tab machine on the market (lmao). Anyhow, I am looking for some advice on how to hunt in the tall deep grass. I have gotten permission to hunt 3 very old abandoned farm properties but they are all very overgrown. The grass is anywhere from 8-10 inches deep. Can I swing 3-5 inches above the ground or will I lose depth that way? I really hate to wait until spring when the grass should be shorter, but I know if there is anything there it will still be there. No one hunts around this area. Any advice will be very much appreciated and I will gladly send you half of the pull tabs I get from each site. Thanks a bunch.

Hat_man

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I had the same problem...I pulled some, and even took a weed eater out there......Alot of work just to detect, but I know this spot will yeild a few older ones.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Only Natural.
You lift your coil 3 to 5 inches
you loose that in Depth.

only things I can suggest,
Walk it flat, Push it flat with your coil swings,
Or Mow it.

Keep your Coil out in front as far as Possable
as you Swing. IF a Snake Strikes your Coil it won't hurt.

IF you have alot on Energy, Take a 1/4 inch Piece of Plywood.
Lay it flat & detect over it. You get a Signal Lift it to the side &
Re detect the general area. Then Step onto the Plywood & do it again.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
HM,

is there any chance: used a bush-hog on the land or just around the house.
or make a trail with "weed killer" works every time!!! just do it around the house,
within a week, you will have a nice flat area.

good luck

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
If the grass is only 8-10", it has been mowed at least once this year. Talk to the owners and see if they have plans to mow again in the near future, maybe even volunteer to do some of the mowing with their equipment.

Barring that, I'd say a good weedeater in some of the most likely spots.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I have that trouble with weeds and ferns in the woods. The only way I conquer that is hope for a heavy snowfall that will pack the grass down and hit it in the spring after the snow melts.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Not my idea , I read it somewhere else.....but anyhow they said
get a piece of plywood about 4' by 4' and cut an 8 inch hole in the
center , mash the grass and weeds down with the board and detect
through it , when you get a hit , pin point and then drag the hole over
the target and dig.

Doozis

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Yep Only Natural.
You lift your coil 3 to 5 inches
you loose that in Depth.

only things I can suggest,
Walk it flat, Push it flat with your coil swings,
Or Mow it.

Keep your Coil out in front as far as Possable
as you Swing. IF a Snake Strikes your Coil it won't hurt.

IF you have alot on Energy, Take a 1/4 inch Piece of Plywood.
Lay it flat & detect over it. You get a Signal Lift it to the side &
Re detect the general area. Then Step onto the Plywood & do it again.

Wow, plywood, damn good idea......

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That plywood idea is really cool. I've got a handfull of spots I'm waiting for the thaw. The plywood might work for some of them.

OP
OP
H

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for the advice. I never thought of it before Rowdy, but you are right. It would be much worse if it had never been mowed. I'll have to see when he is going at it again. It was nice enough of him to grant me permission to hunt there, it might be a bit forward to ask him to mow it for me. Maybe I'll give him my number and ask if he would call me when he mows again. I might try the plywood idea. It sounds like a lot of work though. HEY! I just had a thought! How about a 4x8 piece of chicken wire. The kind with the 1/2 inch square holes and some kind of marker for the hits. Like the flags they use to mark utilities with, but without the flag so you could lift the screen over the marker. I might try that and let you know how it works. Thanks again for all the advice.

Hat_man

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i've mowed for permission a few times,, 2-3 hours work each time.. some say it's not too smart, go somewhere else, but houses are great spots !do what ya have to, but tect it young man ....... ;D ;D ;D

nice on the plywood idea.... :) :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hat_man said:
Thanks for the advice. I never thought of it before Rowdy, but you are right. It would be much worse if it had never been mowed. I'll have to see when he is going at it again. It was nice enough of him to grant me permission to hunt there, it might be a bit forward to ask him to mow it for me. Maybe I'll give him my number and ask if he would call me when he mows again. I might try the plywood idea. It sounds like a lot of work though. HEY! I just had a thought! How about a 4x8 piece of chicken wire. The kind with the 1/2 inch square holes and some kind of marker for the hits. Like the flags they use to mark utilities with, but without the flag so you could lift the screen over the marker. I might try that and let you know how it works. Thanks again for all the advice.

Hat_man

Is this Plastic Chicken Wire ?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jeff has a point. A screen of metal chicken wire would give you fits. You might try that orange plastic mesh they use on construction sites. Attach a couple of 2X4's on two sides and just roll it out. Walk it down a bit and then you can use those flags. The holes are large enough that you can leave the flagging material on the wire when you pull it up. It would also roll up and store/carry easier. Just a thought.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One Warning, DON't Get Creative.

You may come back the next day to

TV Crews , U.F.O. Hunters, Etc

untitledjuyt.JPG

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't already have it, purchase the small 5/34 coil for the Cibola. small coils are easier to swing in grass and brush.
HH
BB

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Taking Jeff's idea and getting creative why not try what some of
those guys used. Get a plank and attach a rope then walk it down
like we have seen some of them do to make the fake crop circles.
If it works for them it should work for us.
Joe

R

robert roy

HUmmmmm. Nice picture of the crop circle. I'll have to try my metal detector there sometime and see how the machine reacts! Hahahaha/

Robet Roy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread