Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, I am busy, on my knees and concentrating hard on locating my target in the hole with my pin pointer. The hole is pretty deep and I have just adjusted the pin pointer to a lower level. I have earbuds in and there is a train going by so I am both trying to hear and feel the pin pointer. Suddenly, a cold wet nose touches my exposed back and I immediately set up! I turn around to see this big brown male standard poodle that has now backed up with tail wagging. I see the owner, a guy that has come around several times with this same dog and he is laughing. I smile, the poodle is a lot better than a pit bull or even a bear. The dog nudges nearly over until I finally pet him. Happy now, he bounces off as the grinning owner walks up and asks, "Max surprised you huh?" I grin back and tel him that I was in another world. I had a cow nudge me completely over onto my side once, actually twice so I found another place to hunt. DL

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dirtlooter!! Yep, it will get your attention every time!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great story! I think the dog's owner is careless with his animal though. Had it been someone else, not as calm as you stayed, the poodle could have gotten a pinpointer to the noggin! I was laying in a meadow once with my hat pulled over my eyes when something licked my face. I slowly pulled my cap up and saw a deer standing there! Guess she wanted the salt off my skin. :skullflag:

Dsorgnzd

Sep 23, 2003
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot,
White's5900 Di Pro,
Compass Relic Magnum 7A
I had a big dog put his very cold nose on the back of my knee early one morning at the beach. It's amazing how focused you can get when you have headphones on.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even had a stray help dig holes one day. Almost took him home.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i was lying in bed asleep when my black lab came and put his cold wet nose in my face i was mad and happy at the same time

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey dirtlooter!! Yep, it will get your attention every time!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Hey, great to hear from you Verde! hadn't seen you on here in a long time, hope all is well. Jerry

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey dirtlooter, nice detecting story. Made me smile. Thanks

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i was in a park just outside of town there was mountain lion sighting sign everywere.down on my knees when i got licked on my face.i did not want to look,but when i did i just saw the tan fur.i really didnt know what to do.well the tan lab licked me again.i thinking why it had to be tan,not black or white..years later i had a guy on a horse walk up all me not 10 feet from the same place.the guy thought it was funny.now i only use one side of my headphones.
fun thread, brad

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wet noses, but while digging a hole i've looked up to see a bounding shaggy sheep dog just feet away, come to a stop next to me and start digging like crazy in the hole i was digging.
The owner apologized, said the dog loves to help dig holes.
Theres a job for him somewhere, just not in a park.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably just run plum off if that happened. One time I was camped down in Brown's Canyon sleeping on the ground, and since it's not bad for bears I had that mummy bag zipped all the way up. I heard a little scratch on the gravel that woke me right up, it was a big old full moon and there was a big black head up above me. My first thought was 'oh damn this is a bear and I'm zipped up' and my second thought was 'crap, my pistol is still in the truck'. Then the head came towards me, and started licking my face. Turned out to be a big black Lab that belonged to some campers on down the way. They hollered for him and he took off, but I had to laugh cause it was a pretty good joke on the dog's part.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not yet it has not happened while detecting.. Like dogs though.
Usually too jumpy to get snuck up on ,but did holler once when a lil ol lady put the sneak on me (walked up casually and taught me to pay attention better) and asked if I needed help. L.o.l.
Clod noses or a lick happens at home a lot though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, usually they come up snarling, barking and running round ‘circle. I yell at the owner to “get your mutt on a leash, it’s the law!” Drives me nuts these selfish dog owners.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been nose to nose with a 7 foot tall mama black bear. It was a freak thing , I walked up to as trash pile and she reared up on me , there we were , eye ball to eyeball , toe to toe , nose to nose , bad breath beyond imagine. She didnt move as I back away. She went back down eating a box of Capt D's fish in a garbage bag. true story. Her claws were in my face. Fort Mountain Georgia on a foggy Tuesday morning in 1991

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had dogs run up to me wanting to play. As long as they are friendly, I'm good with them.
luvsdux

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been nose to nose with a 7 foot tall mama black bear. It was a freak thing , I walked up to as trash pile and she reared up on me , there we were , eye ball to eyeball , toe to toe , nose to nose , bad breath beyond imagine. She didnt move as I back away. She went back down eating a box of Capt D's fish in a garbage bag. true story. Her claws were in my face. Fort Mountain Georgia on a foggy Tuesday morning in 1991
Just a warning: bears do not like competition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions