Phony treasure hunters

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On two separate occasions people said I planted finds on my YouTube videos... one was a seated dime and the other was a silver quarter.... they were wrong and made them selves look bad ..how do you know what someone found ? You don't..if you think it's fake that's your problem . If you let stuff like that bother you , you have much bigger mental health issues you should be concerned about...calling people out when you don't know for a fact just makes you look like a donkey bum ..:violent1::

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On two separate occasions people said I planted finds on my YouTube videos... one was a seated dime and the other was a silver quarter.... they were wrong and made them selves look bad ..how do you know what someone found ? You don't..if you think it's fake that's your problem . If you let stuff like that bother you , you have much bigger mental health issues you should be concerned about...calling people out when you don't know for a fact just makes you look like a donkey bum .

And just what exactly would those mental health issues be? Thanks.

Wait a minute, are you a mental health professional? I wouldn't want some layman to look like a donkey bum talking a load of donkey stuff.:laughing7:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Javadroid... remember the first time you found something in the ground that wasn't a pulltab or wad of foil or something? Even if it's just a 90's dime or something... didn't you feel excited and want to tell someone that you actually FOUND something!!? I get what you guys are pointing to... folks who pad their records with crap or just out and lie... I don't see the need to call them on it as honestly I'm not really concerned how many of anything they find... just as long as they leave something for me. But the new to the hobby deserve to be encouraged even if it's just something of a minor nature because we need to keep steam running and if all you get when you tell someone proudly of your find is... "that's nice... got a hundred of them myself" then really... you're just being a dick and I'm pretty sure you don't want dicks on this board anymore than you want frauds.

Encourage the new folks to keep striving... spin tales of your first silver coin... your first bit of shiny bling (after you cleaned the crud off) and take notice of the fact that they're out there trying to further the hobby in their own way.

I do try to encourage anyone who posts finds, especially if they are new. There are plenty of folks here that would find my paltry pickings to be boring; and we all work through stages of what we deem interesting. I was just stating what I personally try not to do. I think my posts reflect that I want to sincerely encourage and congratulate anyone’s finds. If I’ve ever been less than that, it wasn’t my intent.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
People are strange. You never know what other people are thinking or what they will do.

It's a personality flaw that causes people to seek adoration for something that they did not achieve. These people "feel" that they need other people's approval to validate their existence. It's a sad thing. I pray for people like Vino.

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like posting here as well but most know rules don't always benefit everybody equal nor are they meant to, there's really no benefit to kicking somebody off here for fake finds or claims as companies that advertise pay more to sites with more exposure. There have been people found out and lost posting rights here though, I'm sure some have skated through but anybody that detects much should know better on some claims and finds. It happens on every site just thought I would point out but can't figure why anybody would want to do such stuff, seems some people never grow up I guess. HH
My rule #1 It's their house, their rules. Until I start paying the server bills etc. and doing the maintenance. I am a guest in their house. I'm entitled to nothing. And I'm glad they afford this grumpy old coot the opportunity to hang out here.

OP
OP
wingmaster

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never called you out or anybody just stating facts that some people lie and fake things, so who would be a donkey bum here?
On two separate occasions people said I planted finds on my YouTube videos... one was a seated dime and the other was a silver quarter.... they were wrong and made them selves look bad ..how do you know what someone found ? You don't..if you think it's fake that's your problem . If you let stuff like that bother you , you have much bigger mental health issues you should be concerned about...calling people out when you don't know for a fact just makes you look like a donkey bum ..:violent1::

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember this.Its easier to tolerate phony treasure hunters than phony people,friends.Fake friends I have no use for.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James Cash is correct. Best to just let it go. It's just stuff anyhow.

THIS IS A TEST. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. PLEASE GIVE AN OPINION ON THIS COIN.

Did I dig it a few weeks ago or was it purchased and I'm just asking your opinion on a non dug coin, as a test? Dig I clean it, did I photoshop it? Why is the photo dark? Was that deliberate? Just having fun here.

Answer at 11 am today. Promise.

IMG_1008.JPG

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red James Cash is correct. Best to just let it go. It's just stuff anyhow.

THIS IS A TEST. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. PLEASE GIVE AN OPINION ON THIS COIN.

Did I dig it a few weeks ago or was it purchased and I'm just asking your opinion on a non dug coin, as a test? Dig I clean it, did I photoshop it? Why is the photo dark? Was that deliberate? Just having fun here.

Answer at 11 am today. Promise.

View attachment 1598747

I looked real close and it appears to have been dug by the dirt I see around the numerals 5 & 6.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. I dug it about a month ago. There is no photoretouch as I do not have photoshop. Was a little dark when I took the pic this am.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to ignore questionable finds posts for two reasons:

1. People have been unjustly accused of lying about something that they really did find, and I would hate to do that to someone.

2. If someone's life is sad enough that they have to lie about what they found, then why add to their misery by calling them out on it?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always give posters the benefit of the doubt. But when they start posting great finds on a weekly basis, I get suspicious. No one finds gold or big silver all the time. You just don't dig up that stuff every week. Just my take on it...

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to ignore questionable finds posts for two reasons:

1. People have been unjustly accused of lying about something that they really did find, and I would hate to do that to someone.

2. If someone's life is sad enough that they have to lie about what they found, then why add to their misery by calling them out on it?

But what if my life's sad enough that I have to call them out to make me feel superior?? WHAT ABOUT MY FEELINGS??

:icon_scratch: :dontknow::laughing7:

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what if my life's sad enough that I have to call them out to make me feel superior?? WHAT ABOUT MY FEELINGS??

I don't give a toss what a person chooses to feel until they inflict their mood on others through through their actions. Emotions are a kind of behavior. And, a person can act irrespective of their emotions.

No thing can make a person feel anything specific. People choose their own emotions just as they choose their own actions. Saying stuff like ,"it made me feel(insert emotion here)" , is a cop out. A person cannot legitimately blame others for the choices that person makes.

That's the way I see it. Your perspective may vary.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LMAO..thats right, "Me too" movement on Treasurenet!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't give a toss what a person chooses to feel until they inflict their mood on others through through their actions. Emotions are a kind of behavior. And, a person can act irrespective of their emotions.

No thing can make a person feel anything specific. People choose their own emotions just as they choose their own actions. Saying stuff like ,"it made me feel(insert emotion here)" , is a cop out. A person cannot legitimately blame others for the choices that person makes.

That's the way I see it. Your perspective may vary.

Pssst. That was meant to be a joke. And Lord help me if yours was supposed to be a joke too, then your humor is too sophisticated for my little pea brain to fathom. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't knocking you Doubter in MD. Some joking questions have serious answers. What I wrote isnt above your thinking and I wasn't taking down to anyone. The origin of behavior and how it relates to what a person chooses to believe is one of my favorite subjects. :hello:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People choose their own emotions just as they choose their own actions. Saying stuff like ,"it made me feel(insert emotion here)" , is a cop out. A person cannot legitimately blame others for the choices that person makes.

Emotions are largely involuntary (they are based on biological processes), people generally don't choose to be happy or sad. But, yes, they are responsible for the choices they makes, regardless of how those choices make them feel.

Some people have a strong desire to be a part of "Team Success" (well, actually, who doesn't?) and they see folks posting all sorts of cool finds and getting kudos in response. When I think of Phony Treasure Hunters, I think of the people who chase fake treasures, following fake markers, using fake locators. They have immersed themselves in a fabricated world which, to an outsider, is more glaringly obvious than a faked find. Like the detectorist who fakes a find, I think these folks have a "Need to Succeed," they've just elevated it to the highest levels. I call them "Big Time Treasure Hunters" because that's what they are pretending to be, sort of an Indiana Jones.

While they fabricate all sorts of make-believe, they generally don't fabricate an actual treasure recovery so in the end it's seemingly harmless, like an 8-year-old who's pretending to be a treasure hunter. The downside is that many have written books based on their make-believe, and a few have ended up on TV shows, and these can lead other people into a delusionary treasure hunt. I know of a couple of people who spent every dime they had chasing imaginary treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread