there is a curbstrip i want to detect that is infront of a school. any suggestions?

hiyall

May 1, 2018
indiana, united states
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 150, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a school built in 1924. there is a curb strip where all the kids walk down and also wait on to cross the busy road. i have been thinking about hitting this place at night since i am a night owl and it is also on an extremely busy road.

i would throw on a yellow and orange safety vest and get out there with my other gear as well.

any tips on going about this?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is a school built in 1924. there is a curb strip where all the kids walk down and also wait on to cross the busy road. i have been thinking about hitting this place at night since i am a night owl and it is also on an extremely busy road.

i would throw on a yellow and orange safety vest and get out there with my other gear as well.

any tips on going about this?

Just do it it’s legal. I went in the middle of a Historic District which is nothing but lawyers offices ad boutiques.....and concrete. But in the middle of this street was a 9ft piece of old dirt grass curb strip. Embarrassing as it was I went for it dressed with the whole getup knee pads, pouch, shovel, detector in hand and a hat pulled down over my eyes, it was in the middle of the block with no parking spots close so of course I had to walk it.....but I had to see and one day I just said I’m doing it. Got a deep banging signal which of course was a 99% chance it was a big rusty washer the ground getting harder, sweaty as heck and noticing people’s shoes walking by slowly, I decided it wasn’t worth it anymore, but decided to give one more jab and out popped a solid black disc and I mean solid black. Put it in my pouch coved back the hole and got the hell out there. Went home and told my wife, “I think I got something!! I was only 6 months into detecting. After scrubbing with liquid soap and baking soda this was now mine. 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales IMG_3127.JPG IMG_3128.JPG

After that if I hear something old used to be on the side of the interstate I’ll be there swinging and hundreds of people will see me. Most of my town has seen the crazy guy swinging his detector who wears the MEGA hat :))

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit schools on the weekends when they are vacant and no activities are scheduled. No need for the vest and cones. I hunt during the daylight hours. The cops around here would be curious and have to stop to see what you might be doing in the dark. I find it best to stay off their radar.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Loco-Digger, on a weekend, daylight, dawn is nice, cooler and less traffic, and curb strips can be very good to you at times.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can even hunt in the evenings during the summer when school is out for the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread