Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy to get permissions if you have a pretty face, curves or a great personality. It's not so easy if you have none of those attributes. Offering a bribe is the only way to level the playing field, in my opinion.

I've had some success offering a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer in exchange for a permission. I even mowed an owner's property once in exchange for permission to detect. I rarely offer cash, though. That makes them think I'm going to find something of great value in exchange for the paltry $20 I was offering. Just my take on it...

That's a good view, I've actually offered to mow grass, rake leaves, even help a homeowner clean gutters. Even tho these are things I would offer to do for someone without asking for something in return, it does tell the homeowner were not there to simply rape and pillage their property. There's one very old place where the grass rarely gets cut, maybe once every 4-6 weeks...im thinking of stopping and offering to mow for them for the right to detect there. Can't hurt! Ddf

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not see how it can be perceived as something wrong when someone advertises what they are looking for and what they are willing to pay. Instead of going door to door, one property at a time, this person reached to many at once.

I can not think that more than even a hand full reached out to the advert.

Money is always a good ice breaker, plenty of people in need of money. If it bothers fellow MDers so bad then contact the person and let him know how bad it is to offer money in exchange to lease dig rights. Heck while your at it contact the folks looking for a hunting lease as well.

That fifty bucks may end up in the pocket of some retired person who could really use the money.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn...

He is beating my offer of $48 to detect 1600's residential neighborhoods...

Sheesh you are right... what is it coming to.

:P

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my newspaper ad:

>>>Is there TREASURE on your property? Now you can know for sure! We are expert metal detectorist's, who have found gold, silver, and historic relics in the yards and properties of people just like you here in the lower Hudson Valley. We can search your property free, or for a low $29.95 fee. Call Now for more information!<<<

This has worked VERY well for me. I charge people when they insist on keeping everything I find, and make deals with others to keep all coins, or jewelry. :coffee2:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ad on CL years back and offered to show all my find and return anything lost from the family. Of course they could make up anything if they saw me dig something good. I would be able to figure out quickly if they were greedy or just interested in what I find.

Paying upfront seems a little odd, especially in a Ad or Post. I would hate to end up the Real Life "Tusk" :tongue3: or in someones basement

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be weird to offer money another detectorist to hunt a hot spot in their area?

Because there are so many times I see finds on here from Civil War sites, or the old coins coming out of New England, and i think i would gladly pay some money to even have the chance to find something in those areas.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cardboard sign add reads "will dig fo treasure".

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my newspaper ad:

>>>Is there TREASURE on your property? Now you can know for sure! We are expert metal detectorist's, who have found gold, silver, and historic relics in the yards and properties of people just like you here in the lower Hudson Valley. We can search your property free, or for a low $29.95 fee. Call Now for more information!<<<

This has worked VERY well for me. I charge people when they insist on keeping everything I find, and make deals with others to keep all coins, or jewelry. :coffee2:

Nice!! Now we're talkin'...when you put it like that, it sure changes the perspective. About...ten times or so, I've found relics, sometimes related to the property owner and took them home, cleaned, polished them up and stop back and present it to them. I.E.: Brass gas valve, monogrammed suspender buckle, brass ring(s), etc..Found that was much better than handing them something all muddy and crusty. A LOT of these have resulted in open invitations. But Terry, that's awesome. Thx Ddf.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a very big deal, most of the replies hit the key points. An owner would have to be searching for someone to come dig their place up. Not many adds around here offering yards to dig.

If owners were out looking for detectorists, it would make finding permission a whole lot easier. Not the case in my humble opinion.

In my experience it's the other way around...I search for permission....not owners searching for those of us in the hobby.

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a very big deal, most of the replies hit the key points. An owner would have to be searching for someone to come dig their place up. Not many adds around here offering yards to dig.

If owners were out looking for detectorists, it would make finding permission a whole lot easier. Not the case in my humble opinion.

In my experience it's the other way around...I search for permission....not owners searching for those of us in the hobby.

Good point, and the CL post is in "metal detectors for sale" so I kinda doubt there are that many homeowners reading that section of CL. A friend just told me she saw another ad offering free detecting lessons for permissions. I dunno, I have sure knocked on a lot of doors over the last 48 years. Back in the early 70s when I did get a permission not one property owner ever asked me for anything I had found. One thing for sure when I was 23 I got a lot more yeses than I do now at 70. I think perhaps people are more paranoid these days rather than not liking seeing an old man at their door. Or maybe it was because I usually had my 23 year old blonde girlfriend along with her detector back then. A lot of folks thought we were "cute" digging our little holes and bringing up a lot of junk and occasional goodie. Of course in those days we only had beep and dig BFOs with no real discrimination capabilities. I still think paying to dig is nuts though. Terry says maybe the money will help an old retiree but now I am the old retiree on limited fixed income.

Last edited:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, and the CL post is in "metal detectors for sale" so I kinda doubt there are that many homeowners reading that section of CL. A friend just told me she saw another ad offering free detecting lessons for permissions. I dunno, I have sure knocked on a lot of doors over the last 48 years. Back in the early 70s when I did get a permission not one property owner ever asked me for anything I had found. One thing for sure when I was 23 I got a lot more yeses than I do now at 70. I think perhaps people are more paranoid these days rather than not liking seeing an old man at their door. Or maybe it was because I usually had my 23 year old blonde girlfriend along with her detector back then. A lot of folks thought we were "cute" digging our little holes and bringing up a lot of junk and occasional goodie. Of course in those days we only had beep and dig BFOs with no real discrimination capabilities. I still think paying to dig is nuts though. Terry says maybe the money will help an old retiree but now I am the old retiree on limited fixed income.
I agree, hey I'm 31 about to be 32 and I freak people out too. If I can I door knock with the 5 and 6 year olds as an ice breaker and to look less intimidating.

Do you have any grand children that you could "watch" HAHA!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've offered some pretty cool finds to property owners and always they said "no, you can keep it". Once it was a shilling of Elizabeth perfectly bent into a witch piece and the owner's family there went back to the 1600's. Yesterday, got permission to hunt some property with history and the condition was that I had to keep what I found ("we don't need more clutter"...-LOL)

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've offered some pretty cool finds to property owners and always they said "no, you can keep it". Once it was a shilling of Elizabeth perfectly bent into a witch piece and the owner's family there went back to the 1600's. Yesterday, got permission to hunt some property with history and the condition was that I had to keep what I found ("we don't need more clutter"...-LOL)
Great terms haha!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than pay upfront, I like the idea of thanking someone with a small homemade gift - after getting permission. We had an old bachelor doctor who gushed over the homemade breads and things my wife would bake. Not only did we have permanent permission, but enjoyed some human kindness as well.

If you have a garden or orchard, or just a few fruit trees, there's some raw material to make something for someone that might really appreciate it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Rather than pay upfront, I like the idea of thanking someone with a small homemade gift - after getting permission. We had an old bachelor doctor who gushed over the homemade breads and things my wife would bake. Not only did we have permanent permission, but enjoyed some human kindness as well.

If you have a garden or orchard, or just a few fruit trees, there's some raw material to make something for someone that might really appreciate it.
Those people are VERY hard to find. No one eats that stuff!

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on the site. If it’s an early homestead in a Civil War battle state or somewhere out east, has a lot of ground, big trees and looks not to have been disturbed too much I might cough up 50 for the privilege. Another key would be if the family could confirm no one has detected there before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread