IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The caveat is....dig all zinc penny signals IF YOU ARE IN A SITE WHICH MAY HOLD GOLD COINS. To dig all zincs everywhere has inherent problems. In 30 years of detecting I am going to guess that you didn’t miss much. I,for one,am not going to dig zincs for 30 years for a gold coin or even a few. That’s me.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re right back in 2006, I was on on a site that seen a lot of activity at the turn of the century, 1900, I was swinging a minelab Explorer XS when I got a signal that graphed right next to zinc penny, I dug it up and it ended up being a $5.00 Gold piece, 3 ended up coming out of that site. Take a look at my avatar. Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law is a jewler i borrown a $5 gold coin. On my whites v3i it came in at 48 n 49 on coins program. E-trac 19 n 20. How many gold coins did i pass up in 30 yrs of metal detecting??

Yep ! the Zinc penny range is Where I find My Indians Fall also.
as do some early barber dimes and seateds, on my Explorer.

*please ignore this statement, and let the zincs rot, if you hunt my area.
Let all Can Tabs Stay unmolested Also :coffee2:

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when i told my hunting buddy that i have probably went over a gold coin and didn't dig it he made my day by saying that i probably went over six of them without digging them in fourty years of detecting . the worse part is that he is probably right....:BangHead:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect you passed up massive amounts of gold rings over those years. I treat all pull tab and zink signals like a potential gold ring. Parks can be a challenge but can be done with time and patients.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't know about....massive amounts but digging every pull tab signal will put blisters on your hands..................:tongue3:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If digging old sites or older parks, you missed the gold. All of it. Probably only a few pieces however.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re right back in 2006, I was on on a site that seen a lot of activity at the turn of the century, 1900, I was swinging a minelab Explorer XS when I got a signal that graphed right next to zinc penny, I dug it up and it ended up being a $5.00 Gold piece, 3 ended up coming out of that site. Take a look at my avatar. Good luck!

Now that is what I call “ the right site”! Fantastic recoveries there Rod! Seeing that with a bit of backstory gives me hope that one day I might realize a gold coin myself. It’s a goal we can all shoot for and have a lot of fun along the way looking for that goal,whether we find it or not.
One of the better avatars out there...:notworthy:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is what I call “ the right site”! Fantastic recoveries there Rod! Seeing that with a bit of backstory gives me hope that one day I might realize a gold coin myself. It’s a goal we can all shoot for and have a lot of fun along the way looking for that goal,whether we find it or not.
One of the better avatars out there...:notworthy:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. I don’t dig zincs. Sometimes I will dig the occasional zinc ID to sample check the site and confirm the set-up but as soon as I get a feel for the site I skip them. Yes, I could miss something good but I have yet to dig a zinc signal and be surprised. The ML numbers are usually spot on.

Think of all the time one would waste digging the junk zincs! Only time it makes sense is when I am trying to clear a old, promising site.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did this one park over a year ago and got so many blasted newer coins I gave it up. Got wheaties and buffaloes also. Not what I was looking for. **sighs**

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I've been at this for a year, I'll make up my mind In 20 more. Hopefully this chat is still active.

Seriously, not in Parks, unless there aren't any good sounds...why waste time right?

But like the bust of a "virgin" site I just tried I dug anything repeatable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread