Sharpening Digging Tools

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent done mine yet, but have been considering doing so for a while now.
I imagine it makes quite a difference.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging in the Dirt is not as important for cutting through ROOTS

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much point in putting a sharp edge on digging tools.First time it's shoved into dirt the edge is gone.

A brand new axe will come from the factory about as dull as a doorknob. Its likely that its the same with spades. I would guess if a spade were filed on only one side like a wood chisel, but at a steep angle like a cold chisel you wouldn't have the edge fold easily as if it were sharp like a knife. But i have never tried sharpening my gold prospecting spades . . I don't have a MD, I'm arecreational panner.

As far as stainless trowel spades, don't bother sharpening stainless. Just scratch the part of the tip that folded over off on a rock. That'll be as sharp as it'll ever get. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep mine sharp and when it comes to roots i like to make short work of them.
Some times i use a bench grinder or Disc grinder. Some times i use a file. But when it comes to cutting roots you will be happy you sharpened them

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that thinks putting an edge on a digger is pointless has never done it. You don’t want it sharp enough to shave with, that would indeed get dull very quickly. But the edge that came on my garret digger was terrible. I used a grinder with a fairly worn out flap wheel on it and it worked perfect. I reprofiled the edge and the tip and it made a big difference.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless sucks point blank lol.Stainless is pretty brittle.Stainless blades snap fairly easy.

I got a few stainless steel knives. They are much softer than my tool steel knives and the stainless edge will fold over rather than breaking. A folded edge is more blunt and worthless than a dull steel blade.

I have found that bades that rust stay sharp much longer and under harder use than stainless. But, steel takes longer to sharpen than stainless. You can rub the folded edge off a stainless trowel with a rock.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've only sharpened my Lesche Parahna once. They come very sharp but it's getting time. Just got the Lesche Raptor #31 in last week and it comes very sharp. Love that tool and I have several of their tools. Very hard material and great tools. Side note: I Do not work for them.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sharpen all my stuff 1-2 times per season, or as needed. Just take the angle grinder to it! Finishing touches can be done with a whetstone if needed.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharp tools are a joy to use. I sharpen wood working tools, but I've never took a file to a spade. What techniques do you use, Gare?
I just usually use a bench grinder to put a sharp edge on them. Sorry for the long delay

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 4 1/2" angle grinder works very well.Two things,don,t get in a hurry and overheat the digger edge and be darn careful with those angle grinders.Use a vise or C-clamp to hold what you,re grinding and keep two hands on the grinder,they,ll turn on you and it ain,t pretty what they can do to flesh.Watch those loose clothes like shirt tails and a pair of heavy gloves ain,t a bad idea either.Learned this the hard way,don,t you learn it that way too!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A 4 1/2" angle grinder works very well.Two things,don,t get in a hurry and overheat the digger edge and be darn careful with those angle grinders.Use a vise or C-clamp to hold what you,re grinding and keep two hands on the grinder,they,ll turn on you and it ain,t pretty what they can do to flesh.Watch those loose clothes like shirt tails and a pair of heavy gloves ain,t a bad idea either.Learned this the hard way,don,t you learn it that way too!
You can get good battery angle grinders and keep one right in the truck. Goggles & gloves!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread