Don't know the age of this chimney.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be detecting this after work. I've never had an opportunity to do a home site like this. I normally get front yard permissiom or wonder aimlessly through the woods. When I went to check it out I didn't see any iron piled up. It would be to good to be true if it were a virgin site.

It was on an early 1900s map, but I suspect it is 1800s. Having a hard time dating it. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Will be detecting this after work. I've never had an opportunity to do a home site like this. I normally get front yard permissiom or wonder aimlessly through the woods. When I went to check it out I didn't see any iron piled up. It would be to good to be true if it were a virgin site.

It was on an early 1900s map, but I suspect it is 1800s. Having a hard time dating it. Any ideas?

I can't see your image....

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoops

Screenshot_20180612-131412.png

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting well preserved chimney, I hope you have a killer hunt! :icon_thumleft:

orange_sweetheart

Sep 5, 2014
Denton, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People sometimes hid valuables on ledges in the lower part of chimneys. But be careful!!

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. Some observations - its quite tall, it was plastered, the hearth appears to be relatively small, the workmanship looks quite good (the builder had $)It also seems to have been painted (more $)
In my VERY humble opinion.....earlier fireplaces tend to be shorter over all. Not plastered. Have a taller hearth to facilitate cooking. Mostly the older ones tend to be open on one side only indicating that the chimney was located on the end of the cabin.
The one pictured appears to be open on both sides indicating that this chimney was located in the middle of the house. Smaller opening to the bedroom ( usually) large opening to the living area.

Best to detect BOTH sides of the fireplace. Age, I really have no idea but would err towards 1920s, 30s (just a quess)

Chub

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Saddle bag type homes in the East had shared chimneys...
Chubs guess s as good as mine would be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread