Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: A very mean Rooster and a little Girl

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    735 times
    When I was a kid my Mom was Office Manager at a chicken hatchery. I got to do most jobs there. One was de-winging the baby chicks. Every chick got a wing removed at the joint by a hot wire (think your toaster). Another was de-beaking done a similar way. Cruel? Maybe but not doing it allowed the birds to fly or peck each other to death. Sexing was also bad. You picked up the chick and squeezed the,ah,contents into a coffee can and looked at it's bottom to see if it had nodules or not (think hemorrhoids). Roosters in one box, hens in another. Roosters went to become fryers and hens shipped off w/one rooster per 25 hens. This was hard on the birds & they sometimes died.
    Defending yourself from harm by any animal is not cruelty. Beating a tied up dog is cruelty. Shooting a charging bear is not. Good luck.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    8921 times
    Metal Detecting
    You see it.

If the rooster was free enough to attack it had a better life than 97% of all roosters.
    dirtlooter likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2686 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Cute story. I grew up a a rural area where everyone raised animals to keep their families fed. Geese, chickens, pigs, goats etc, and they pretty much all terrorized us kids. Contrary to story books and the imagination of city folks, most farm animals are neither sweet smelling nor sweet in nature.
    dirtlooter and Butter Hat like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Jan 2016
    North Saguache county between Gunnison and Monarch Pass
    F2
    1318 times
    Prospecting
    Our rooster is pecking at one of our egg layers head and comb now and we aren't sure what to do with him. He's a cool bird and does fine with people and just started doing this. We've had him for three years or so and he's always gotten along well.
    We have the hen separated until she heals but they are little dinosaurs and no one wants a rooster around these parts. Anyone have this happen before?
    He's was a rescue and is more of a pet and we hate to lose him.

I read it has to do with mating so I'm hoping it will pass.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Jun 15, 2018 at 09:51 PM.
    dirtlooter likes this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    7031 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    when a chicken see blood, they kinda go nuts and attack, pecking at the spot/spots. they can turn on another in a heartbeat and will eat eggs as well. nature is very cruel, everything that breathes eats something else, even if it is only something green. What a lot of city people don't seem to understand, very few things are killed outright and most are eaten while still very much alive. Even that beautiful Doe is capable of killing and they do get into some very vicious fights. Heck, there are even plants that eat other critters.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1963 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I’ve had dozens of chickens for 20 years, I’ve no need for a rooster ever. Bad experience with all of ‘em!
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly...

us
    Jan 2016
    North Saguache county between Gunnison and Monarch Pass
    F2
    1318 times
    Prospecting
    Yep we probably won't get another in the future. The hens do great on their own and it seems more peaceful for them.
    A friend of ours works at a bird rescue in Denver so she got us some medicine that also repels the rooster. Seems to be good to go now.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    4441 times
    Just like Dirtlooter stated, when a rooster or hen sees blood when pecking another chicken, they kinda go nuts. When this occurs, there is usually not much you can do with the perpetrator except kill them mercifully and cook them for supper. I have seen folks try all sorts of tricks to stop the chicken on chicken attacks but most of these solutions were only temporary. Some folks put tape on the bottom of one foot or on the top of their' heads to give them something to worry about and otherwise occupy their time, so they won't think about pecking another chicken. Some put blinders on them, sort of like mule blinders but these are actually a hood that only restricts their side vision and seems to distract them from nefarious activities. While these sometimes work, they usually only work temporarily and the offenders usually have to be disposed of. If you think a cats reaction to putting tape on it's paw pad is funny, then you will really enjoy watching a chicken with tape on the bottom of it's foot! Yes, it is hard to get it to stay, so you might have to run a string around the tape and between the chicken's toes/claws to get it to stay longer but they usually get it off.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16000 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, if it was my job to collect eggs from the hen house, and I got attacked by a rooster everytime I tried to collect those eggs,, I think I would have to defend myself.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Jul 2017
    Cary, NC
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    150 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    It took a lot of courage for you to abuse that tiny bird with a stick. What's really amazing is that you're actually proud to tell your animal abuse story here.
    I resent that you have taken it upon yourself to pass judgement on a small child who defended himself from an ill-tempered rooster. At the time of this alleged animal abuse, I was no more than 8 years old. With careful reading of my original post, you will note that I used the stick to keep the rooster from hurting me. I didn't kill the bird although I'm almost certain that he did, at some point, become Sunday dinner.

When you grow up in a rural community, you learn where food comes from and, if you help harvest that food, you know what is necessary to feed your family. I also hunt and fish and consume what I harvest (or, in terms you might understand, heartlessly murder). I am cruel to neither animals nor persons and find those reprehensible who are (including those who bear false witness toward others).

I have traditionally ignored such accusations, however, I am no longer willing to do so. Your accusation of animal abuse is simply not true and I think you deserve censure for making baseless comments absent any understanding of the context of the story. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    ---------------------
    I'd rather try and fail than die wondering.

---------------------
    You don't have to live on the edge,
    just move away from the center.

us
    Jul 2017
    Cary, NC
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    150 times
    Relic Hunting
    I thought I was finished with my comments but that was before I read some more of the posts in the thread. That has precipitated a few more observations.

You say in one of your posts, "I come here to read about metal detecting finds, not about some uneducated person (or his uneducated kid) abusing animals." Let me help you with that accusation.

My parents were not uneducated unless you mean that they did not receive a college degree. They had meaningful jobs and provided well for our family. They taught me the value of being well educated both academically and practically. They provided me with a strong religious upbringing that included the lesson to "love your neighbor as you love yourself". They taught me to be a good steward of the natural resources we have at our access and to not waste anything. They made sure that I had every opportunity for a good education including a degree in Industrial Arts Education. I'd suggest that neither my parents or I are, to use your ill-founded word, uneducated.

You further state, "I've spent most of my life kicking the crap out of jerks who abuse animals. Doesn't teach them anything, but it sure makes me feel good!" How on this good green Earth does that do anything but counter your own argument regarding abuse? My actions against a now long-dead, but tasty, rooster were a defense. Your actions of "kicking the crap out of jerks" to make you feel good demonstrates a lack of understanding of the idea of what is means to be cruel.

Please go back to reading about metal detecting and stop espousing your social or political views in this venue. I'm certain that there are forums in which you can do that with wild abandon.

Now, go out and find some treasure.
    ---------------------
    I'd rather try and fail than die wondering.

---------------------
    You don't have to live on the edge,
    just move away from the center.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    2375 times
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Those Disney movies should be rated PG instead of G.
    I cannot make you think. I can give you something to think about, but whether or not you choose to think about what is offered and how you think about it is entirely up to you. In the same manner, I cannot make you get offended. I have no control over your behavior. Getting offended, or keeping your cool is your choice. It is all up to YOU cupcake!

.....if words can hurt you what will punches do?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links