Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back around 1975, I was back up in Arkansas visiting for a couple of months before I went into the Air Force to be a radio repairman. I was floating between several relatives, working around their homes at what ever for my room and board. I was at one uncle's house for several days so that I could help him get a fence put up around about 5 acres so that they could keep some cows inside it.

My uncle had various animals around the place including a bunch of laying hens and one very mean but beautiful game rooster named Henry. My uncle called the rooster that because his father-n-law's last name was Henry and he was a fairly mean man. Henry was very territorial and would challenge everyone and everything that invaded his space. Now the eggs had to be gathered everyday by someone because the family ate them. Yep, I got flogged several times by the mean bird but I quickly got me a slender stick to wack him with and he soon realized that I meant business.

However, Kathy, my 5 year old cousin, didn't fair so well and got flogged numerous times. I would hear her getting flogged and come running to get the stupid bird off of her. Kathy totally hated Henry and for good reason but my uncle needed a rooster. So, when my work was finished, I moved on to another relative's home for a few days to help them with clearing out some brush etc. So, about a week later, my uncle called and wanted me to come by and help him on a Saturday. As I walked into their home, Kathy came running up to me and with a huge smile, told me, "We ate Henry!" I looked over to my uncle and he nodded yes, said that he found another more tranquil rooster. Kathy was happy now, she could collect her eggs in peace. As I left that day, I could hear her singing "No more Henry, no more Henry."

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some great life experiences which has left you with wonderful stories....Thanks for sharing

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt...always enjoy your posts, whether you and Mama are out detecting, battling for Frosty's or whether you're laid up getting healed up. Keep'em coming my friend, Ddf.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story Dirtlooter. It seems that everyone enjoyed your story.......everyone but Henry that is.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, we had a rooster that hated me ... and I hated him. When I went to gather eggs, he would come over and peck/flap/claw at me and I'd run to the house. My mom told me to get a little stick and shoo him away. Well, I headed out to the chicken yard and, on the way, I picked up a stick about 2 feet long and 3/4" in diameter. When that rooster came at me, I didn't shoo him away, I beat the crap out of him. I didn't kill him but I sure made him sorry for his sins.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We usually cull ours for temperament. Right now we have a little bantam Japanese Black-tail that was a "drop-off" (the hens are Americana and Barred Rocks) and a few weeks ago I saw him heading for a fox that was attacking the hens.

Years ago we had a big gray Americana rooster named "Gandalf" who had 1-1/2" spurs. He went after THE ADMIRAL regularly, always an attack from behind, but kept his distance from me. The barn's prior owner had a hockey-playing son and there are a few bladeless sticks hanging around. One day THE ADMIRAL came in and said "I think I killed Gandalf". I went out and saw the stick propped up against the fence and Gandalf's lifeless body with his head lolling down where his neck had been broken.

I went in and said "Yep, I think you did, too."

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid, we had a rooster that hated me ... and I hated him. When I went to gather eggs, he would come over and peck/flap/claw at me and I'd run to the house. My mom told me to get a little stick and shoo him away. Well, I headed out to the chicken yard and, on the way, I picked up a stick about 2 feet long and 3/4" in diameter. When that rooster came at me, I didn't shoo him away, I beat the crap out of him. I didn't kill him but I sure made him sorry for his sins

It took a lot of courage for you to abuse that tiny bird with a stick. What's really amazing is that you're actually proud to tell your animal abuse story here.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago we had a big gray Americana rooster named "Gandalf" who had 1-1/2" spurs. He went after THE ADMIRAL regularly, always an attack from behind, but kept his distance from me. The barn's prior owner had a hockey-playing son and there are a few bladeless sticks hanging around. One day THE ADMIRAL came in and said "I think I killed Gandalf". I went out and saw the stick propped up against the fence and Gandalf's lifeless body with his head lolling down where his neck had been broken.

And another animal abuse story. Nice...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
dirtlooter,

Your story brings back painful but at the same time fond memories of when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My dad raised Game Roosters to sell and had quite a few Game Hens and one ornery Game Rooster that would come after me every time I came off the screened back porch where we lived. The Rooster would fly up onto the top of my' head, peck and flog me and on several occasions spurred me on my' head and shoulders. My Mom told my Dad about this on several occasions but since he kept the mean Rooster around for fertilizing eggs, he kind of blew it off since he was never there when it happened and didn't see the attack on me. Well, one kind of warm Saturday morning in the late Fall, my Dad was off from work for once and was splitting kindling on a large stump. I stepped on to the back porch steps when coming outside and immediately, the Rooster flew up on my' head and started flogging and pecking me. My Dad saw this and quickly ran over, grabbed the Rooster by it's neck, took him over to the stump and quickly lopped off his' head with the double bitted axe. My Dad then stated "Now let's see you peck anybody else you son of a b&*$%" and then hollered at my Mom "Myrtle, come and get this Rooster and pluck him because we are going to have him for supper". Boy was I glad to see that Rooster go!

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman53, you really have to scratch your head on my comments? Beating an animal with a stick is animal abuse and will get you arrested in most states. That's nothing to be proud of or to be bragging about.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsman53, you really have to scratch your head on my comments? Beating an animal with a stick is animal abuse and will get you arrested in most states. That's nothing to be proud of or to be bragging about.

Well I don't like sunny-side-up and you gotta scramble the eggs with something. Besides, its a darn pain in the neck trying to cook eggs when the hen that layed them keeps hopping up on the stove.

Burning a hens feet on the stove, now that's abusive. It'd be a crime not to shoo her off.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, guys, I know commenting about animal abuse is a lost cause here. But I just had to give it a shot.

I also know that roosters are nasty critters that will peck your eyes out if you give them a chance.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people confuse pet animals with livestock

Nope, I just think that animals that are slaughtered for food should be killed in merciful way and not abused first for some sick person's pleasure...

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I just think that animals that are slaughtered for food should be killed in merciful way and not abused first for some sick person's pleasure...

I agree. That's how come when I snatch a duck from its pen, I run it up against the side of the pen then grab it by of his hind legs. Thats the most humane way, trust me! Then it goes head first into a dog cage along with its friends that got the same treatment, then off to the slaughterhouse where it gets shoved head first into a stainless steel cone where it is relieved of the use of it's central nervous system. It ain't to glamorous, but that's where Thanksgiving dinners come from.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread