First Tattoo and It's a Beauty! Lynyrd Skynyrd and Treasue Hunting Combined.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I did think about it for 30 years, so I did consider it for a LONG time! Not exactly a rash decision on my part!

My brother is getting a tattoo of Ronnie Van Zant later this month. We're going to avoid each other until the concert so we can show them off then. Should be a fun night.

I like your choice and your Brother's. He and the group, Masters of their craft. Rock on!

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a few myself Reaper. It's a Jar Head thing. Semper Fi.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When we hear the words Southern Rock, Lynrd Skynrd comes to mind. I was in the Corps in 1977 and I worked with a Marine from Greenville, S.C. We were stationed at Paris Island and worked in the Depot Armory. We were both Skynrd fans, and my buddy comes up excited and tells me that they were playing Greenville and that the concert hadn't sold out. We pondered the idea of going, but it was a sort of last minute idea. I told my buddy that I would catch them in Atlanta next year when I was out of the service. That never happened for they crashed in Baton Rouge after the Greenville show. This would be the last show ever of the original Lynrd Skynrd band. I never got a chance to see them live. I wish I had known then what I know now. I still have the original Street Survivor on 8 track when it first came out and before they recalled and touched up the album cover. The flames were the highest behind Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines who both died in the crash. What a tragedy.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see so many Skynyrd fans here! Glad they haven't been forgotten. I know the current band is nothing like the original lineup, but they still sound amazing to me. I just hope my rapidly failing hearing can take one more Skynyrd concert! LOL!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth1253, great video! That footage of Ronnie holding up his daughter Melody always gets to me. Not fair that he never got to see her grow up...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d see Zeppelin while suffering through “Stairway to Heaven.”
I’d see Skynyrd while suffering through “Freebird.”

Let the piling on begin!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simple man was always one of my favorite Skynrd tunes.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Never was a tat sort of person. But back in my Army days I used to get brands; had this great brand for my back I was going to get during leave, full back. but I met my wife and spent that entire leave getting to know her. Figured I would get my big brand on next leave, but never did cause she said it would look like crap. LOL I always had to wait until leave to get my brands because the first week packing them with salt and having to scrub them out really makes a mess. Got one once when I was not on leave and my darn PT shirt stuck to it over night. Next morning before PT I could not get it off, even tried hot water and it was stuck good.

Platoon Leader covered for me though, we spent four hours at the pool that morning doing laps. By the time it was over the shirt came off, PL called me over and lifted his shirt, he had some nice branding work as well. Told me only on leave or you will get caught.

I always tell my wife that if I out live her I will get that full back brand still.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple Man is a cool tune, no doubt.

I also really like Beethoven Symphony Nine, 2nd movement. I was going to get the tattoo for it but its just an old man in a big white wig with a horn in his ear. Try picking up broads with that one, no thanks! :laughing7:

Lmao!! Classic

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no my friend, we're old, still functioning Cocks!

Maybe, but still sound like old hens. I’m a 48 y/o veteran of war so cock or hen, it’s still a chicken. The title says it’s about tattoos and clearly he’s happy with it. Guys clicking on a post just to be negetive should go dig a hole instead.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe, but still sound like old hens. I’m a 48 y/o veteran of war so cock or hen, it’s still a chicken. The title says it’s about tattoos and clearly he’s happy with it. Guys clicking on a post just to be negetive should go dig a hole instead.

I thought you were joking, so I was joking. I agree, nobody needed to criticize or ridicule. I only made one comment. I liked their music, and liked FT's choice and his brother's. I'm glad you made it back from the dust and oil smoke. You were part of restoring public respect for the military, thanks for that. I'm a 64 year old Cold War Navy veteran, which to some combat vets is like saying I was in the Cub Scouts for six years. But I was asked by my Sister and her friends how many babies I had killed.

You led with your war veteran status, so I salute you. At my age, veteran status is pretty irrelevant, although I did buy a house in January on my GI Bill.

I sure hope you weren't calling me a Chicken. The last time someone called me Chicken, 1968. Steve broke two bones in his hand slugging me on top of the head, after I broke one bone in my right hand after punching him on the eyebrow. Short fight. No harm no foul here. And I'm joking here, too, although that skirmish did happen. As I said, irrelevant.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were joking, so I was joking. I agree, nobody needed to criticize or ridicule. I only made one comment. I liked their music, and liked FT's choice and his brother's. I'm glad you made it back from the dust and oil smoke. You were part of restoring public respect for the military, thanks for that. I'm a 64 year old Cold War Navy veteran, which to some combat vets is like saying I was in the Cub Scouts for six years. But I was asked by my Sister and her friends how many babies I had killed.

You led with your war veteran status, so I salute you. At my age, veteran status is pretty irrelevant, although I did buy a house in January on my GI Bill.

I sure hope you weren't calling me a Chicken. The last time someone called me Chicken, 1968. Steve broke two bones in his hand slugging me on top of the head, after I broke one bone in my right hand after punching him on the eyebrow. Short fight. No harm no foul here. And I'm joking here, too, although that skirmish did happen. As I said, irrelevant.
I wasn’t calling you anything, you refered to yourself as a cock, that’s a chicken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread