First Tattoo and It's a Beauty! Lynyrd Skynyrd and Treasue Hunting Combined.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Love Lynyrd Skynyrd. I saw then in Denver Bronco Stadium in July of 1977, just 4 months before the Free Bird went down. Besides the Stones, the greatest Concert ever.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Love Lynyrd Skynyrd. I saw then in Denver Bronco Stadium in July of 1977, just 4 months before the Free Bird went down. Besides the Stones, the greatest Concert ever.

Wow, you were so lucky to have seen the original Skynyrd lineup! The best I saw was the 1987 lineup with 5 original members: Gary Rossington, Ed King, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkeson and Artimus Pyle. Allen Collins was still alive, but he was in a wheelchair from his car accident in 1986.

Back then, Johnny Van Zant refused to sing "Free Bird" so they only did an instrumental version, which was still fun.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skynyrd, Drivin & Cryin, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws & .38 Special are all alive and well in my iTunes library, right next to Metallica, Mozart, Wagner & Iron Maiden.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could never figure out which was the greatest rock & roll band of all time - Skynyrd or Zep.

It will forever be a conundrum for me......................:occasion14::headbang:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll figure it out for you.Its neither Skynard or Zepplin,the greatest is..,............AC/DC.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm way in the minority when it comes to tattoos..That is one fad I simply don't understand.
Call me a relic, call me what you will.. Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill

I don't think it has anything to do with age, I'd say it's purely a question of personal preferences.
The first people I remember looking up to were covered in tattoos, I guess it just struck me and marked my imagination.
I will never encourage or discourage anybody from getting tattooed, in fact I very rarely discuss this matter (even if some of my tats a very appearant and I get asked about them sometimes).
I see it as a very personal matter, from start to finish. All in all, the only thing that's important is how you feel. I feel better about myself everytime I get tattooed.
Call it a crutch if you will, it kind of is in a way, but I wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world.
Peace, happy future needling to my inked companions.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful, it looks like the left edge is starting to peel off a little bit ;)

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely flaking and peeling today. Looks pretty ugly right now, but that's normal. Just glad it didn't get infected.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely flaking and peeling today. Looks pretty ugly right now, but that's normal. Just glad it didn't get infected.

Keeping A&D ointment on it? I did that with all of my tats. Also recommended this when I was a pharmacist.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
Go easy on the cream. I use it MAXIMUM twice a day. Heals better the less cream you use. Haing it exposed to air is the best way to have it heal fast.
Your skin kinda gets used the artificial hydration, so you might be stuck with that itchy sensation for a longer period of the healing process.
I made all the mistakes I could with my first ones and thank god I learned. It also helps that along the way I made half a dozen friends who are professional tattoo artists.
They use next to no artificial hydration when they get tattooed themselves. The itching is much more intense but lasts for a much shorter time.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using Hustle Butter on it twice a day. That's what my tattoo artist recommended. Very thin coat and pat off the excess with a paper towel.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it has anything to do with age, I'd say it's purely a question of personal preferences.
The first people I remember looking up to were covered in tattoos, I guess it just struck me and marked my imagination.
I will never encourage or discourage anybody from getting tattooed, in fact I very rarely discuss this matter (even if some of my tats a very appearant and I get asked about them sometimes).
I see it as a very personal matter, from start to finish. All in all, the only thing that's important is how you feel. I feel better about myself everytime I get tattooed.
Call it a crutch if you will, it kind of is in a way, but I wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world.
Peace, happy future needling to my inked companions.

My questions about tattoos:

1) Do people get them to look at and enjoy themselves?
2) Do they get them to draw attention to themselves?
3) Do they get them so others can look at them, too?
4) Other reasons?

It seems as though when people stare at (or study)people with an abundance of tattoos, those being studied often get offended by being stared at. I assume they know that people will gawk at them when they get the things.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4) Other reasons?

It seems as though when people stare at (or study)people with an abundance of tattoos, those being studied often get offended by being stared at. I assume they know that people will gawk at them when they get the things.

I would say people get them for all those reasons. I can’t just walk into a tattoo shop and pick something off the wall for attention though. I got my first one because I wanted to commemorate my time in the navy. After that first one it was all over. Now anytime something major happens or I find a new passion, I want a tattoo for it. Has nothing to do with other people looking. Although I have to say, I get a lot of complements from little old ladies which always catches me off guard. But also none of mine are skulls or naked women so that helps. It’s only a matter of time until I get a coil or a shovel or something MD related.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, I've always been a huge Skynyrd fan, so I do enjoy looking at my tattoo. When I check out my tattoo I think, "Why didn't I do this 30 years ago?"

Only for one day. I'll be showing it off at the concert, but that's it. I don't wear muscle shirts, so it's not going to be very obvious the rest of the time.

Would be nice if other Skynyrd fans appreciated the tattoo, but I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks about it.

4) Other reasons?

As stated in my first post, I got it as a tribute to Skynyrd. I may never get another tattoo, but you never know...

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other

4) Other reasons?

My answer: all of the above, and more.
I guess you could compare it to weight lifting. Some do it cause it makes them feel good inside and out. Some do it so people will look at them. Others do it cause its their conception of being a man, etc...
I speak only fo myself here, I rarely do anything to please anyone other than the ones I love and care about first, and myself second. As I have stated before, I get tattooed because it makes me feel good about myself. It's as if with every addition I get closer to the image I have of myself. None of my first tattoos were visible, and even though no one saw them it still boosted my confidence and made me feel more at peace.
I try to give zero thoughts to what random everyday people on the streets think of me. I have never been flashy, yet I was always an outsider. Needless to say, my care meter does not budge wether I get looked at or not.
Bama Billy said it well, it becomes a way to comemorate and celebrate your life and all that you love in it, it's also a great reminder of lessons learned. Even if you have memories and scars associated to certain events, you might still want to underline that struggle, solely for yourself. Just like someone filling up their office or study with items, books and images that inspire and stimulate them…

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

4) Other reasons?

I have never seen anybody with tattoos get offended by people “staring” at them. It seems to me that you are projecting your dislike for tattoos.

I got tattoos for the same reason I obtained all of my other possessions....I wanted to! I would not, and do not, give a tinker’s dam if anyone approves or disapproves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread