Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was about 16 years ago, my son was about 16. We were at Broken Bow Lake fishing and it was about 26 degrees in January. We had just launched just fifteen minutes earlier and were slowly making our way back into the back of a cove. The water was deep and cold, I was fishing with a jig and had caught a couple of Kentuckys. My son was fishing with a spinnerbait, the kid could work a spinnerbait like I never could. Anyways, he managed to make long cast into a tree standing in about 15 ft of water. I simply turned the boat around and began backing it up to the tree so that he could retrieve his bait.

As he reached for a limb to balance himself at the corner of the boat, I reminded him, "Don't forget that tree is very dead and those limbs will break super easily." His response immediately was, "I know dad." Then, I watched him lean out further and both heard the limb snap and saw him go down out of sight! Instantly before I could even say "Aw Crap!" he was back in the boat! I had never seen anyone go in the water and get back into the boat that fast, never. He quickly assured me that he was alright and could go on fishing but I knew otherwise and started back for the landing. There was no one else at the lake or the landing when we got there and got the boat loaded. I always kept a dry pair of large insulated coveralls behind the seat in the truck and got them out. I really don't think that David would have cared if a hundred people were watching as he shucked off his wet freezing clothes and donned the dry.

It was about an hour and a half ride back home and he finally warmed up about five minutes from the house. After he had warmed up, i had to ask, "So, was the water cold?" He grinned and answered, "And deep too!" Teenagers know everything, well at least they think that they do.:laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had three uncles that would throw you in, no matter when or where. Then laugh as you shivered but then would at least build a fire, a small fire

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had that same conversation at a urinal.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story.A guy in my bass club went in and back on the boat so fast that his new name is Otter.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had that same conversation at a urinal.
Yeah he worked that reference to that old joke in to the story, and I bet he wondered if any of us would catch it. I was surprised that anybody besides me did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread