Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Every year, we get at least one male bird that has to beat itself crazy on our windows. For three years it was a male bluebird that kept busy at our sliding glass door and the bathroom window. It was like non stop, constantly plus it made mess on the bathroom window screen that was and has been hard to get cleaned off. Last year, we had both a cardinal and a bluebird at the same time it was like they did it in shifts. But this year it has been just mainly the cardinal.
Yesterday I ventured out in my truck to town for a few things and hurried home. As I drove home, I noticed that my driver's side mirror (on the outside) was smeared really bad. I had no idea why it was like that and decided that when I got to the house, I would clean it. I pulled up to the house and while sitting there, rolled down the window so that I could get to the mirror. I had a bottle of water in the truck so I took a paper towel and wet it so that I could reach out there and wipe it clean.

However, before I could reach from my sitting position with this wet towel, a bright red cardinal suddenly appeared and began attacking the mirror. I was surprised and watched as it did it's thing and then took off. My thought was "You showed him!" Then as I cleaned the mirror, the same bird attacked my back window several times. You know that it has to eventually hurt but I guess that the male instinct to run off other males has to be very strong in them. I had never seen one attack a vehicle mirror before but I have now. Our neighbor came over and told me that she had seen the bird attacking my mirrors numerous times. When I was a kid, my grandfather had one that finally killed itself on his kitchen window, he found the dead bird on the ground right below it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love cardinals and do my best to lure them to my bird feeders. Never had them attack glass though. Some years ago though I had a big morning dove that flew into the window hard (and fatally), leaving behind the full outline of his body in sort of a white powder on the window. Because it was late in the fall when it happened, the outline of him on his last flight stayed on my window through nearly all of the winter,

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to put walmart bags over my truck mirrors. The crazy cardinals beat and scratch against them until they are covered with bird poop and blood.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to put walmart bags over my truck mirrors. The crazy cardinals beat and scratch against them until they are covered with bird poop and blood.

yes, paper bags on the mirrors help. Unfortunately they move onto the windscreen. After covering the windscreen with a towel, covering the mirrors with bags it then moved onto the side windows... I decided to shoot it....It ended up playing an irritating game of cat and mouse. Hiding under the car and taunting me over the course of a few weeks. Crap all over everything. I even made a remotely operated stun gun that sat on the mirror. Anyway, eventually I broke out my ancient TELLY .177 air rifle. A shortish barrel but very stout and very accurate. After the usual cat and mouse the bird ended up in a tree. Headshot at about 45 feet.

cleaned the car one last time. That was 4 years ago , never had an issue since.

chub

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lot of cardinals and blue jays, none have attacked the windows or truck mirrors like that.
Only one cardinal pecked at the mirror once. Maybe because there are alot they fight with each other.

We did have a pigeon fly full speed into the side of our box truck while it was parked in the drive way.
Just like in the cartoon, a puff of feathers flew up, and the bird hit the ground. He did recover and flew away. I made one of the kids keep an eye on him so the cats wouldn't eat him.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions