Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2, White's Coinmaster 5900/Di Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

I have been detecting a 1810 farmhouse site for two years with great results. I have been using an Ace 250 and have gotten lots of cool artifacts, tokens, wheats and silver! However, my oldest (dated) coin is from 1913. I know the older stuff is there, but I feel like its deeper.

So, I decided to level up to a mid-grade detector. Long story short, I got a smoking deal on a Makro Racer 2 Pro, which is arriving today!

Any words of advice?

Wish me luck and have a great weekend!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck with the new machine it will take a little while to learn how to use it properly! :icon_thumleft:

IMHO: Choose a small area, grid, overlap your coil swing (25%) and go slow, really listening for the whisper signals. I would dig everything on an old site, just me, since I'm a relic hunter. Do not concentrate on the numbers, listen to the tone. The numbers will be inaccurate for really deep targets, near iron, other junk...etc.. Those are a few to think about.

Keep us posted of your finds! :hello2:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the place has been landscaped or has flooding bringing in silt and new soil most coins shouldn't be out of reach of the 250. I have hunted many early 1700s sites here in N.Y. and found many colonial era coins less than 8" down and many less than 4" down. Coins do not sink in normal ground conditions, the soil gradually builds up over them. Often farmers were not rich folks and as time goes backwards they had less money to lose in the first place. One reason we find many more coins from the late 1920s on is that our society became more affluent and children began carrying money around and children are prime losers of anything. Enjoy your new machine, may it find you wonderful goodies!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread