UNHAPPY GORILLA GLUE USER

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, lots of opinions on glue. You don't mention the shape or type of plastic of the items you are trying to glue. I don't see any recommendations for Super Glue or Krazy Glue. They are super strong; I believe they will hold about a ton per square inch BUT.. they do not work on polyethylene.

If you use a lot of super glue or have to "puddle" it a bit.. pour some baking soda on the blob as it cures. It is a trick helicopter mechanics use to build up nicks in the blades.

Good luck.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Wow, lots of opinions on glue. You don't mention the shape or type of plastic of the items you are trying to glue. I don't see any recommendations for Super Glue or Krazy Glue. They are super strong; I believe they will hold about a ton per square inch BUT.. they do not work on polyethylene.

If you use a lot of super glue or have to "puddle" it a bit.. pour some baking soda on the blob as it cures. It is a trick helicopter mechanics use to build up nicks in the blades.

Good luck.
type of plastic ? hmmmm ! that would be like asking me whats gases make up the sun ? well we have helium and,and,and well all i know is its hard plastic. but whats the point even on the glue package it does'nt ask what kind of plastic it is ? right ? anyhow i gave up on super glue years ago for plastics. so i'll try the jb weld and if that does'nt work i'll come back and complain some more k

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorilla Glue is a waste of money. Looks like crap when it swells and foams everywhere. JB Weld has worked the best for me also.
Try masking 1/16" on either side of the break. when it's cured use a single edge razor like a card scraper to catch the rest & don't soak the wood. just dampen it. A couple of the pictures above scream way too much water.

And I don't give a hoot what their advertising says if it has beeswax polish on it, or has had End Dust used on it GG won't stick!

Store your super glues, PVC pipe glues & epoxies in the / a fridge. I've got PVC & ABS glue that is over a year old that's as good as new. Some super glue type glue that's over a year past code that's still good. While you're doing your prep take the glue out to warm up and you should have no problems.

Any time you glue plastics break the surface with alcohol, or even better MEK. A lot of time there'll be left over mold release. Be very careful when you're using MEK, it'll fog or melt a lot of plastics.
Hope that gives you some helpful pointers!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
487bff_3f7fe278446c4b148d66b8b6f17a3c69_mv2.png

https://www.rhinoglue.com/order?gcl...klpVvwNUwLYci8lFoYKOGGsfBC_n3NrIaAp9fEALw_wcB

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go to Dollar Tree and buy the 3 pack of the fast acting glue. Works great on plastic. Like in 4 seconds. Probably made by Loc Tite. Just apply, hold the two pieces together and Ya la. And it's, Da, a dollar. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Go to Dollar Tree and buy the 3 pack of the fast acting glue. Works great on plastic. Like in 4 seconds. Probably made by Loc Tite. Just apply, hold the two pieces together and Ya la. And it's, Da, a dollar. :icon_thumleft:

i think you meant voila ? nothins gonna work unless i get all the old glue off first ! and if that stuff dont work can i come back and complain some more. cuz you guys care right ?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, now I will date (in time) myself. I remember making my own glue for my home made Kites. Sugar, Flour, and Water.
Dries weeds for the cross and the Atlanta Constitution for the paper. Cloth tail from scraps and ball of twine.
Sometimes we would attach razor blades to the cross and have Kite fights with Neighbors.
Yea, I know----------------a little "Off Topic".
Marvin

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of the stuff or ever even seen it on the shelf ? must be a top secret stuff so they keep it under lock and key huh ?

I first bought at Michaels & Hobby Lobby. Now available at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart. I recovered a ATV seat using the same type of material & used the glue to attach. Never had no problem with it and other things I've glued.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pieces you are gluing need to be CLEAN and Ruffed UP so it can bond to it

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of the stuff or ever even seen it on the shelf ? must be a top secret stuff so they keep it under lock and key huh ?
Naw, no security clearance needed. Home Depot only has it in some stores. Hobby shops, or craft stores have it. The make it yourself bead stores will have it too! Bought a case (24 tubes) for 50 cents a tube from a bead store going out of business. So far has stored great in the fridge for over a year. Made me wonder if she sold at a big loss or if they really have a $5 marl up? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions