Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FreeBird, now that I re-read my post, I guess it could have been a little too detailed and sounded a little pessimistic. But it really isn't.

It's not so much a fear of anything...it's more a desire to protect what I consider extremely important to me and that's the safety of my family and myself. That's why I arm myself when allowed and why I like to stay alert of my surroundings. Nothing more than that, but interpret it as you like.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rhode Island has room for woods?!? šŸ˜±

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rhode Island has room for woods?!? ��

My town of Scituate alone has thousands of acres of woodlands. It's a beautiful and scenic place to live. Do some research before you make silly comments.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detect in the deepest woods of northern RI and never think twice about it. It's a wonderful thing to not be afraid of everyone you meet in this world. Try it sometime, you may learn to like it...

So the guy that told us weā€™d spend years in jail if we pulled a gun on him thinks weā€™re ā€œscared of every person we meetā€ because we carry. LOL and then accuses us of sounding silly. You clearly donā€™t know very much about the people that are law abiding citizens that have a permit to carry. Talk about making yourself look silly. You donā€™t even know the gun laws in your own state.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always think about this scene from "Blade Runner" whenever you guys go on and on about your ridiculously unfounded fear of getting mugged or assaulted all the time...

I'm not afraid. I'm prepared.

I'm not afraid my wood stove will burn the house down - but I have a good sized fire extinguisher near it and another in the kitchen.

I'm not afraid I'll slice myself badly with my lawn-mower or tractor - but I have a trauma capable first aid station in the basement (which has paid off twice for chainsaw and tractor incidents).

I'm not afraid I'll lose power - but it happens often enough we have multiple oil lamps in the house.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about making yourself look silly. You donā€™t even know the gun laws in your own state.

If you threaten someone here in RI, even if it's on your own property, you can get up to one year in jail. But they can and will add to that if you point a gun at someone. Sorry, but I do know ALL the gun laws in RI.

11-5-3

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you threaten someone here in RI, even if it's on your own property, you can get up to one year in jail. But they can and will add to that if you point a gun at someone. Sorry, but I do know ALL the gun laws in RI.

11-5-3

sounds like a dumb place to live to defend your own life that is why i live in The Great State Of Texas 8-)

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

11-5-3
Well yeah, if somebody randomly pulls a gun on you and threatens you with it, thatā€™s illegal and stupid to boot. If Iā€™m in RI and threatened, Iā€™m 100% legal to use my gun and my conceal carry permit in your state. Period. If you think you need to tell people they canā€™t threaten you with a gun for no reason I canā€™t help you.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This discussion has reached the usual point at which two sides become entrenched. I think both sides have valid points to make. I agree with FreeBirdTim that Scituate is indeed a beautiful, scenic place - at least it was back when I used to fish there and eat their fried clams as often as I could, back in the 60's and early 70's. But I also detest state governments that do not trust lawful residents and that includes Maryland, where I reside. I don't choose to live here because of the idiotic CCP laws, but in spite of them, in an attempt to balance all factors that enter into a decision about where to live. Ultimately, for us, living 12 minutes from grandchildren weights the scale enough to live here - in spite of the corruption, pollution, and idiotic gun laws.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a firearm for the same reason I carry car, home, hurricane, health and firearm insurance. I carry in case I ever need it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found myself in a situation in which I had two characters pointing their guns at me. I was along the banks of a river holding two heavy bags of water with the first larval hickory shad to be stocked in the state. I was alone, at about midnight (my choice to reduce exposure of the fish to visual predators) in the rain (also my choice to allow for dispersal). I chose the stocking site because it was the last place where the species had been reported at that life stage (about 1 to 2 days old) over 30 years earlier. I had not researched nor considered my own safety - a mistake others here have pointed out. Having slid down a hillside of wet broken glass and trash, I was about to allow some river water into the bags to acclimate the tiny fish when I heard a moo behind me. I turned to find a very large man pointing a semi-auto pistol at me. Another moo'ing sound (some kind of code there) revealed another large guy behind him also pointing a gun at me. This was not private property but part of the National Capital Park & planning commission land. My mind flashed to an incident the previous week, forgotten until now, about a body pinned to a bridge piling downstream and if that might have been connected to these characters. I had no concealed weapon, and even if I had one, i would likely have been shot while attempting to reach it in a holster, if my chief special, or a pocket, if my hammerless revolver. And I was outnumbered and caught by surprise. In this situation, I did the only thing I could think of and explained that I was a biologist out here stocking fish. As they got closer, it appeared these guys were under the influence of something and were unable to see the nearly microscopic fish in my fish transport bags. So I went for broke and exclaimed something to the effect of "Man, you guys are so lucky to see this. This is a historic moment - the first time this species, cultured in our hatchery, has ever been stocked - and here you are to see something nobody else has ever seen!" This seemed to disarm them a little, so I followed it up with "Not only can you see this historic event, how would you like to help me stock them?" Both grunted yes to that, and we spent the next two hours climbing up and down a hillside of broken glass in the rain carrying down insulated boxes of bagged fish until we had stocked all 1.3 million into the river. Later, I told two different law enforcement agencies about what happened and they both told me it was a major meth lab and too dangerous to send their officers there.

Last edited:

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

11-5-3
This is exhausting. If Iā€™m justified and I pull a gun on you in RI I WILL NOT GO TO JAIL. Period. You keep saying ā€œif you threaten meā€. Nobody here is randomly threading people with a gun. If you give me a reason to point my gun at you in RI, I WILL do so and Iā€™ll be within the law for your state. Period.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exhausting. If Iā€™m justified and I pull a gun on you in RI I WILL NOT GO TO JAIL. Period. You keep saying ā€œif you threaten meā€. Nobody here is randomly threading people with a gun. If you give me a reason to point my gun at you in RI, I WILL do so and Iā€™ll be within the law for your state. Period.

WRONG. You cannot point a gun at someone because they are threatening you. We have a castle law in RI, but only in your home. If someone is in your yard threatening you, but is unarmed, you cannot go outside with your gun and point it at him. That's assault and you will go to jail for it. You could claim he was threatening you and then you both can go to jail. Trust me, I know what you can and cannot get away with in my state.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a dumb place to live to defend your own life that is why i live in The Great State Of Texas

Can't argue with that. In RI, you can lose you right to own a gun over a misdemeanor, which is ridiculous. They also passed a "red flag" law that will give them the right to take your guns away if you are deemed to be dangerous to society, even if you've done nothing wrong. That's what happens when you elect a female governor in your state...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WRONG. You cannot point a gun at someone because they are threatening you. We have a castle law in RI, but only in your home. If someone is in your yard threatening you, but is unarmed, you cannot go outside with your gun and point it at him. That's assault and you will go to jail for it. You could claim he was threatening you and then you both can go to jail. Trust me, I know what you can and cannot get away with in my state.

That's sensible. If someone was in my yard and I was in my house I would close the door and call the police. (And wait 20 minutes for them to arrive).

If that someone breaks and enters then things are very different.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So youā€™re telling me if your wife or girlfriend is walking to her car at night, she sees a guy running towards her and she pulls a gun on him SHEā€™S going to jail?? If thatā€™s correct then why have it? Why give a person the right to carry one? Never mind the argument here, We should just give Rhode Island to Canada.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't bring a gun to a fistfight. That's the best way I can explain it to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread