How to show a live snake a real good time!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
i can relate there some times a stick can look like one and those skinks we have around here there look like a snake with legs they can scare you to death if you don't look close enough at them i may have accidentally killed a few

They sell skinks as pets in the pet stores up in NH, they are certainly weird creatures, like half snake half lizard.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
They sell skinks as pets in the pet stores up in NH, they are certainly weird creatures, like half snake half lizard.

and they scare the living day lights out of me when i think it is a snake

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t get in and out if a kayak.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the opposite problem. I was in my canoe, paddling under a tree, when a snake dropped in for a visit.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was a young black snake. It scurried off pretty fast.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We are loaded with 'em here in southern MD. I don't really recommend keeping wild animals for pets, but these are easy. They gobble down bugs and worms. When our cats were outdoor-indoor dwellers, they would terrorize the skinks and we would see very few with their tails intact. When a cat grabs a skink, the tail drops off and vibrates like crazy, the cat then focuses on the quivering tail while the live skink slowly sneaks off unnoticed by the cat.

One of my favorite modern authors is Tim Dorsey - and he has a colorful character who goes by the name of Skink. I listened to all his books on CD from the library when I was in a vehicle all day or several hours a day. If familiar with Hiaassen, Dorsey is similar but characters' language is more "colorful".

Oh, and they are all lizard.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the opposite problem. I was in my canoe, paddling under a tree, when a snake dropped in for a visit.

Many snakes are excellent tree climbers. It is why I don't attach bird houses to trees. A bit unnerving to open a bird house to clean it out, reach in, and yikes!

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't imagine what went through that poor snake's mind while he was fighting gravity on the way to the ground.

Many years ago, I saw a hawk swoop down on the side of the road and snatch up a snake. The snake had a look on that said, "Hey, I don't normally fly." I don't think it turned out so well for him.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this one slid off the windshield it only "fell" about 3'. Even at 35 mph it probably was not seriously hurt. It took off real fast! One less snake on the property here.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i shot a chicken snake in my yard this morning trying to get my blue jays eggs he was 3 ft. long

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one surprised little snake. He thought he was going for a canoe ride, instead he's flying thru the air upside down and lands in a new town! ....there's a book in there somewhere!

We have an agreement,
I leave them alone, they leave me alone. Not sure what's going to happen when that rule is violated....it could get messy.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my neighbor thought he saw a copperhead, which he killed, I was thinking of "hunting" them. I.E., place a half sheet of plywood down near the edge of the woods, and leave it there a few days, then lift up (using a LONG rake) and see what comes out.

On the other hand, never mind....bad idea. I think he nailed a big northern water snake as what he killed he said was 4 foot long. Copperheads around here I don't think get that big. I think they top out at 30". But you never know.

Goldboy, yes, a children's book is in order.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread