"The Treasure Hunter's Guide To The Law"

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I seriously recommend reading the following book "The Treasure Hunter's Guide To The Law" by Clair Martin Christensen, LL.B. This is quite informative in regard to what we do for our Hobby or Treasure Hunting Business.

In it is a guide to what Treasure is and the five major terms: Lost Property, Mislaid Property, Abandoned Property, Stolen Property and Finder.

It really opened up my eyes in regard to TREASURE TROVE. Rights of a finder against another including special statutes, the Antiquities Act of 1906, Trespass, Mining Claims, Income Tax, Contracts with states, Partnerships, Liability and more. I know the book is hard to find and I am fortunate to have this copy which is a treasure in itself.

Its not worth breaking the law to find a treasure that you may not be able to keep and could potentially get you thrown in jail or sued and loose what was found.

Find a copy and read it.

Be Safe, Be Aware.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter's Law: What Treasure?:skullflag:

OP
OP
LUE-Hawn

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Most of what is written is still prevalent to 2018. Once it is put down in writing there maybe some small changes but it is still worth reading as court law will fall back on publications such as this in other court cases and documents. This is a primer so you don't enter into an agreement with a land owner you have permission to hunt then find out he has past away and his family does not want to to hunt on the property. It talks about that and other examples. You could always talk to an attorney as to what your legal rights are.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just have fun and dont do anything you wouldn't want other people doing to you. Each State has its own laws, and I have decided if I cant metal detect I dont go to those places. This would scare if not run new folks completely off reading about this stuff. Every where you turn you have someone telling you no. Promote the hobby, and educate.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just have fun and dont do anything you wouldn't want other people doing to you. Each State has its own laws, and I have decided if I cant metal detect I dont go to those places. This would scare if not run new folks completely off reading about this stuff. Every where you turn you have someone telling you no. Promote the hobby, and educate.

And send a copy to Tom in California,
He likes this stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread